Finances

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2019
How does everyone track their finances for the team? My daughter has aged up from 10U to 12U and I'll be managing. Would love anyone to sens me a sample spreadsheet and any details.

Oct 4, 2018
Excel.

Communicate often. Perhaps even monthly updates. There are really very few line items (uniforms, gear, tournament fees, practice facilities, insurance).

May 6, 2015
Communicate often.
this is why I suggest google sheets, these can be shared with whatever email addresses you wish. no need to update, everyone can look whenever they want. google sheets work VERY much like excel. plus they are in the cloud, so you do not have to worry about backing up.

Nov 29, 2009
How does everyone track their finances for the team? My daughter has aged up from 10U to 12U and I'll be managing. Would love anyone to sens me a sample spreadsheet and any details.

Send me your email in a PM and I'll send you an Excel spread sheet I made for tracking team finances.

Sep 23, 2018
I am all for transparency, so I would use google sheets, separate sheet for each family accessible only to them, one main sheet with all teams finances (income, expenditures) visible to entire team.

We currently keep a master team sheet (private), and I provide updates as requested (no one ever has). I like the Google Sheet idea, and would be more than happy to provide, but here are my questions:

1. If you play in a tournament that costs $600 (entry + PaP), and you have 12 girls, are you simply assigning $50 cost to each individual sheet?
2. What if you need to buy a game ball for $6, do you assign $0.50 cost to each player? (example purposes only)

Or are you assigning costs more generally on a weekly/monthly basis? Our team dues are monthly. And FYI, we often run a negative budget that is covered by me. The budget estimates at the beginning of the year are fairly accurate, and I did add a little cushion this year, but sometimes we play more tournaments early in season (good weather), or we play deeper into weekends (more PaP). It should be fairly close to $0 balance by end of season. Anything remaining will be put towards pool/pizza party etc (should be less than $100 total).

Thank you.

May 6, 2015
the individual sheets should only have the expenses linked to individual players, such as if you assign uni costs to individual members, which would make sense if you keep unis pretty much same year to year, returning players might not need all new, just a few pieces, which personally I like, helps keep expenses down. or if they wanted to join non mandatory team orders for items such as bags, cleats, batting gloves, etc.. However, to me the individual sheets are more to keep track of the income and what is owed (ie dues/tuition paid, money posted to player account from fundraising, etc.)

all the team expenses (ie tourney fees, facility rentals, umpire fees for PAP, balls, team equip such as nets, tees, etc) would show only on team page. the team page would also have totals of income as well (pulled in from individual sheets, so it all ties).

and agree, balance at end of year should be close to zero, and spend that on end of year party for the girls. If there is larger than expected balance (ie thousand or more, ie maybe lots of rained out tourneys, etc.), then you might consider partial refunds, or credits toward next year.

Sep 23, 2018
the individual sheets should only have the expenses linked to individual players, such as if you assign uni costs to individual members, which would make sense if you keep unis pretty much same year to year, returning players might not need all new, just a few pieces, which personally I like, helps keep expenses down. or if they wanted to join non mandatory team orders for items such as bags, cleats, batting gloves, etc.. However, to me the individual sheets are more to keep track of the income and what is owed (ie dues/tuition paid, money posted to player account from fundraising, etc.)

all the team expenses (ie tourney fees, facility rentals, umpire fees for PAP, balls, team equip such as nets, tees, etc) would show only on team page. the team page would also have totals of income as well (pulled in from individual sheets, so it all ties).

and agree, balance at end of year should be close to zero, and spend that on end of year party for the girls. If there is larger than expected balance (ie thousand or more, ie maybe lots of rained out tourneys, etc.), then you might consider partial refunds, or credits toward next year.

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. Last year, we planned for about 10 tourneys (fall/spring), but we ended up playing about 14. One of the tourneys was TC in OKC (with WCWS tickets), so each girl paid separately for that one (not in original budget), and we added one more local "National" at end of year that each player paid separately for. I ended up losing $750ish out of pocket, but it was worth it. This year, we increased the budget with a better perspective of what was needed, and we are on track.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28