Finally Starting Back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2015
Does the finish matter, as long as you get the initial inward rotation and working inward?

No, with the caveat that everything prior to release is correct. Anything that happens after the ball has left the fingers is irrelevant. Many elite pitchers have a faux HE finish.

Nov 8, 2018
I have a question. Does the finish matter, as long as you get the initial inward rotation and working inward?

No if the Ir is correct. Hers right now is not. IMO. If she worked inward on release and then worked back to elbow up it wouldn’t matter. It would look weird but you can see rather than probating forearm and internally rotating she is flexing her bicep and keeping her hand facing the catcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks guys, I agree she is not doing I/R exactly right. She does brush. Its just understanding how brush helps the rotation of the forearm etc. for me and her.

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks guys, I agree she is not doing I/R exactly right. She does brush. Its just understanding how brush helps the rotation of the forearm etc. for me and her.

Have her do the arm drop drill and I should become apparent. Lmk how it goes and what you see.

Oct 2, 2017
Have her do the arm drop drill and I should become apparent. Lmk how it goes and what you see.

I tried the drill last night. I don't have any video. But it still didn't click with her yet, There is one observation that I made that I think might be contributing to her not feeling or understanding the whip. It seems to me that the rotates the ball forward right before the forearm makes contact with the hip.

Nov 8, 2018
I tried the drill last night. I don't have any video. But it still didn't click with her yet, There is one observation that I made that I think might be contributing to her not feeling or understanding the whip. It seems to me that the rotates the ball forward right before the forearm makes contact with the hip.

That’s because she is not relaxing. Letting the arm just drop naturally all the way. It’s just bad habit wanting to turn the hand over. It will take time. LOTS !!! Unfortunately.
Keep practicing.
You may have to do back chaining.
Stand at 45 with arm relaxed at side. There the elbow will have a contact point naturally happening with the hip. That’s your brush contact spot. From there bring hand back palm up without moving the elbow into a lock it in position. Then go forward. Back and Forth so she gets the understanding.
Next progression is go back to lock it in then up to 9 o’clock palm up. Then slowly down the way you got up.
Do these all slow then speed up as fast as she can keep that ball up until release point.

Oct 2, 2017
That’s because she is not relaxing. Letting the arm just drop naturally all the way. It’s just bad habit wanting to turn the hand over. It will take time. LOTS !!! Unfortunately.
Keep practicing.
You may have to do back chaining.
Stand at 45 with arm relaxed at side. There the elbow will have a contact point naturally happening with the hip. That’s your brush contact spot. From there bring hand back palm up without moving the elbow into a lock it in position. Then go forward. Back and Forth so she gets the understanding.
Next progression is go back to lock it in then up to 9 o’clock palm up. Then slowly down the way you got up.
Do these all slow then speed up as fast as she can keep that ball up until release point.

I agree, I also do not think she understands hand stays on the inside of the ball (lead with pinky).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802