Fielding lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Does your kid take fielding (IF/OF) lessons and/or do extra work at home ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 26, 2019
Good fielders - both baseball and softball - will have an “internal clock” guiding them on how much time they have. That varies between the two sports and even between different types of ground balls and runners in both sports. As @pattar said though, the mechanics of fielding ground balls are the same. The biggest difference I see between lower level and higher level infield coaches is the lower level coaches smash grounders at the kids and tell them to “stay down on it”. Better coaches teach them how to use their feet to pick a better hop.

Oct 14, 2019
I saw my first live baseball game in a long time the other day after DD’s softball game finished. I have watched nothing but fastpitch for several years. The 90 feet between bases is jarring after being used to 60.

Jun 8, 2016
I saw my first live baseball game in a long time the other day after DD’s softball game finished. I have watched nothing but fastpitch for several years. The 90 feet between bases is jarring after being used to 60.
I like the relative quietness..I don't feel the need to wear earplugs to watch a baseball game.

Jun 8, 2016
After 6+ years of softball I am still not used to all the chanting and such..🤷‍♂️
After a game or two of a tournament it will be reduced to background noise but those
1st couple games of a tournament give me a headache.

Jun 8, 2016
gets better at 14u and HS. except for the HS game this year when they brought the band.
My kid is in 14U..I haven't noticed a difference :ROFLMAO: It is not a huge deal..actually drowns out my muttering so probably a good thing actually.

Jun 8, 2016
Would you teach a baseball pitcher to field a bunt like this? Over the right knee or does it not matter in baseball because of so few bunts and the amount of time saved does not matter.
https://protips.dickssportinggoods....eshia-ocasio-on-fielding-bunts-from-the-mound at the 17 second mark.
That is how you teach a SS to field a DP ball at them or to their right..so sure. Throw is short so no need to get a lot on the throw (eg getting to the right of it catching it under your left eye so your momentum is going towards the base you are throwing to) and the emphasis is on a quicker transfer..

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802