Fielding lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Does your kid take fielding (IF/OF) lessons and/or do extra work at home ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 26, 2019
Would you teach a baseball pitcher to field a bunt like this? Over the right knee or does it not matter in baseball because of so few bunts and the amount of time saved does not matter.
https://protips.dickssportinggoods....eshia-ocasio-on-fielding-bunts-from-the-mound at the 17 second mark.
I don’t teach them to field it off the right side as much, but 100% agree with getting the right leg planted and throwing from where you field it. It’s not a far enough throw to warrant stepping (or shuffling) and throwing. Get your feet set before you field it, gather, and throw.

Jul 31, 2015
I don’t teach them to field it off the right side as much, but 100% agree with getting the right leg planted and throwing from where you field it. It’s not a far enough throw to warrant stepping (or shuffling) and throwing. Get your feet set before you field it, gather, and throw.

Practicing fielding via thrown balls 😖
Practicing fielding via batted balls :D

Oct 26, 2019
Impossible to replicate the spin of a ball coming off a bat.

Use a bat, every time, even for dribblers.
I roll them, one hop them, hit them from a knee, hit them from side toss, off a tee, fungo, and shoot them from a machine.

Ironically, the most game realistic ground ball spin is created from the machine. It’s almost impossible to replicate the top spin you get on a ground ball from self tossing. Fungo ground balls usually have backspin, which rarely happens in games.

In summary, expose them to all types.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28