Fielding Bunts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
@Jdaddy Upon further research I see what you mean. I asked a college softball coach friend of mine the same question and he said the same thing you did about the third baseman. His exact words were “if your catcher has to do that on a bunt that far out then put your third baseman on Ritalin or a diet”.

You learn something new everyday...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Bare hand to the ball method
Get angle first
Going to the ball
Get to ball...
while sprinting/hussling ...
Staying low push ball into ground...
Without breaking stride
go directly into throw...

( imagine sprinting to the ball on the ground picking it up throwing. Without stopping legs moving threw the throw....
= sprinting while throwing the batter/runner out all in one motion)

Like infield charging and cutting off a high bounce grounder...only their using a glove two hands and quick transition infront of them as they go into their throw.

No need on bunt on the ground to do glove transition.
Just Pic it and fire!

Catchers have the best view of batters bunting and can come out immediately to charge the ball.
Its our responsibilty!

Range should be part of training!!!

Radness!!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Respectfully disagree. I’m sure it’s a typo, but a softball is only 12”. My daughter has fairly small hands and has no trouble making the play. Two hand scoop and transfer is slower than grab and throw.

I should have said you trying to field a 16" ball bare-handed.

It is not slower when the ball is picked up with both hands. There is no transfer.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I should have said you trying to field a 16" ball bare-handed.

It is not slower when the ball is picked up with both hands. There is no transfer.
But you’re not picking up the ball with both hands. You are picking up with throwing hand and glove pocket. The ball then has to be pulled from pocket before throwing. When barehanding the ball using the ground, you are already past the stage of the throwing chain where yours begins.

The goal is to make the play as fast as possible, not as safe as possible. Guess we will agree to disagree.

Aug 2, 2019
This image is great!
Approach
Get throwing angle
On the way to the ball
Aligning throw
Energy to the ball
Helps energy throwing
Add
Consistant throwing mechanics =
Accuracy and throw speed

Eyes on the ball in line with
eyes on the target!
Healthy on body too!

View attachment 16213
I like this too. If the ball is far enough up the line that the catcher would need to chase straight after it, pick up and pivot to get the runner, it's the the third basemen's ball.

As far as bare handing it, depends on the size and skill level of the player. It should become more prevalent as the girls get older. I also see a lot of coaches have the girls "practice" bare handing, but never teaching bare handing. Simply telling the girls to press the ball into the ground when they pick it up instead of trying to snatch it up improves the success rate dramatically.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
young ones seem to understand 'surround the ball with belly button over the ball' and 'push ball into ground with throwing hand'

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Great discussion on this topic and it does not get discussed or coached nearly enough. I'd love to see some more video examples of getting around the ball for reinforcement. Barehanding in this situation is a must as is practicing that before the opportunity presents itself in a game.

Also, would love to hear different thoughts on what the C can do to get 3B down that line sooner/farther in various bunt scenarios.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Instruct/teach young ones
starting at 8 years old what have posted here.
*And i use only the 12" balls

Aka: "The Real Softball"

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Great discussion on this topic and it does not get discussed or coached nearly enough. I'd love to see some more video examples of getting around the ball for reinforcement. Barehanding in this situation is a must as is practicing that before the opportunity presents itself in a game.

Also, would love to hear different thoughts on what the C can do to get 3B down that line sooner/farther in various bunt scenarios.

Getting out from catching crouch is explosive work into a sprint.

Similar scenario as a sprinter training comming out of blocks on the track.

Perhaps we can call it a technical skill as it is specifically a "catcher thing".

Train by setting up softballs at different locations on the field
4' feet out
6' feet out
10' feet out
12' feet out
15' feet out
20' feet out
Use a stop watch.
Drop bunt go.
Time catcher from ball
put in play throw reaching target 1st,2nd,3rd.
Obviously some catchers maybe quicker.
However there is a standard on the field!
Getting runners out!
3.0 and under basic goal.
2.5 is freakin radness!
* sometimes even draw lines in the dirt like a road map to the ball, helps the young ones...
Even add arrows....cuz its fun!
* Add by timing your entire defense can determine if you have the ability to say throw at base to get lead out!
Take away bunt moving runner!
All defense has to be fast enough to cover base in time!
Train and GO FOR IT!

Fun story
While playing at Long Bch state.
Other team did a strong push bunt directly at where 2nd base plays ( inbetween 1st and pitcher) i yelled " i go i go" and procceded sprinting
And sprinting
And sprinting
Finally atleast 25 to 30 feet out
Dove for the ball
In a superwoman plank
Stretched out
Body in the air
Pushed ball into ground
Back hand flip to first base
( at that point honestly think i was only 15'/20' feet away from our 1st basewoman in the middle infield)
She stretched.....
SUPER STRETCHED
We got the out!

Our first basewoman said on the field quiet loud
"How did you do that?!"

Share this story because what one person can do another person can do!

Train skills
Train skills
Train skills

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
If the ball is stopped, I prefer the C to barehand it. Will need to start teaching the "push the ball into the ground" for the barehand.

My daughter likes to barehand slow rollers (though to be honest, I can't remember if this is when she's catching or at 3B). Makes me cringe either way, b/c there's a good chance of her leaving the ball behind. (Note: She's NOT trying a barehand, do-or-die, throw on the run play).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23