Fielding Bunts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2011
Does a catcher field a bunt down the third base line facing first base or with her back to first base then pivot? Thanks.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
While I have seen catchers field bunts with their back to first base, spin and throw, (It looks impressive when it works, and is embarrassing when it doesn't) it is always best to keep your throwing target in sight. we instruct our catchers in the method Screwball describes, don't run directly to the ball down the third base line, rather run to the outside so that your catcher's body is aligned to throw to first as she reaches the ball. (All this assuming your catcher is right handed, Lefties are totally different) Your catcher should be calling for the ball as she makes the play. (LOUDLY) :)
-Chaz

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
There is a way to properly execute the pivot move on a bunt down the third baseline, but until a catcher can prove she is able to handle doing it the safe way first, it really doesn't make any sense to teach it to her.

The pivot move can cause a wide variance of weight shift during a throw, and even a small weight shift backwards, away from 1B, can force a throw that pulls the first baseman off the bag. Or worse yet, over throw them completely.

We start teaching the younger girls to get around the ball by taking a curved approach to the ball, making sure that their body is already lined up for a throw to 1B before they even touch the ball. However, the path they take will need to get shorter as they continue to get older and base-runners get faster. We have started to call it "turning the corner". We want them to run to a point two feet behind the ball in line with 1B, and turn the corner as hard as they can to get their their right foot positioned 1-ft behind the ball, instep turned towards 1B. Hips and shoulders should already be pointed at her target with the front foot on the ground before she touches the ball. The path she takes should be slightly curved, but very quick. See video and attached diagram below. You will notice that the catcher in the video could do a little bit better job of getting her right instep pointed at her target, but it is the best example of approach that I could find.

BUNT3B.gif

The quicker a catcher can get around the ball, the quicker they are able to get it in the air.

Attachments

• SBBUNT3B.jpg
    SBBUNT3B.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 19

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This image is great!
Approach
Get throwing angle
On the way to the ball
Aligning throw
Energy to the ball
Helps energy throwing
Add
Consistant throwing mechanics =
Accuracy and throw speed

Eyes on the ball in line with
eyes on the target!
Healthy on body too!

Screenshot_2020-01-29-12-46-36-2.png

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Also add, barehand the ball (energy to the ball). Never glove the ball as a catcher on a bunt that gets down.

The old barehand the ball myth will not go away. That comes from baseball where the ball is smaller and the hand is larger. Try picking up a 16" ball with one hand that's rolling away from you in the dirt and then make a hurried throw.

Teach them a two-handed pickup as they are rounding the ball. NOT picking the ball up with the glove and then doing a transfer which is too slow.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
The old barehand the ball myth will not go away. That comes from baseball where the ball is smaller and the hand is larger. Try picking up a 16" ball with one hand that's rolling away from you in the dirt and then make a hurried throw.

Teach them a two-handed pickup as they are rounding the ball. NOT picking the ball up with the glove and then doing a transfer which is too slow.
Respectfully disagree. I’m sure it’s a typo, but a softball is only 12”. My daughter has fairly small hands and has no trouble making the play. Two hand scoop and transfer is slower than grab and throw.

Oct 26, 2019
Gotta say I have never seen the bunt to the third base side taught that way. I’ve always seen get around the bunt and that is what I teach. It’s a far more natural throw turning glove side - same as you would teach any other fielder (like on a relay throw)

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Gotta say I have never seen the bunt to the third base side taught that way. I’ve always seen get around the bunt and that is what I teach. It’s a far more natural throw turning glove side - same as you would teach any other fielder (like on a relay throw)

In softball, a ball out that far is probably 3B ball. Look how far off the plate the catcher is. Big difference in the games. Never a reason for a SB catcher to plant and pivot with back to 1B.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee