Fencing suggestions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Looking for suggestions on replacing our HS fence - we have one of those SportPanel white plastic fences that is about a year old and already has a lot of damage. I'm in the middle of trying to come up with a repair estimate for all the shattered PVC parts and misc. items that have either been broken or lost. Also, I'm concerned with liability issues if we try to repair the thing and a kid runs through or falls on it and gets cut or impaled on a sharp piece of plastic. This being a Public school and all I know they have stricter policies on this stuff than I'd apply in my own back yard so duct tape and zip ties are out.

I haven't seen too many of these plastic fences in use over the years and frankly, I understand why. Does anyone have a fencing solution or company that they really like? Rolled fencing with poles every 5ft seems to make the most sense. We're looking at a 200ft outfield and it doesn't need to be fancy just functional and somewhat durable. Our Booster club is working hard but the last couple of years drained us and we are starting over on a shoestring budget. I've looked online already and have an idea of what some companies are selling them for at full retail...$$$ Hopefully, we get some boosters and money coming in soon.

Thanks for any and all ideas!!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I was gonna say duct tape, but you beat me to it :)

The plastic fence looks nice when new, but once holes start getting punched in them from balls and constant breaking/cracking you realize why they don't use them

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Hawk, I've looked at those pkgs and believe you're right about being able to get some kind of discount off of full retail. The markup on the parts and accessories for this stuff reminds me of the appliance industry.....oh your silverware rack on that Kenmore dishwasher is broke? That'll be $387 sir....or perhaps you'd like to look at our newest model of XWZ complete dishwasher at only $394 delivered. Really? $29 for a pack of 12 foam inserts?

May 1, 2018
Hawk, I've looked at those pkgs and believe you're right about being able to get some kind of discount off of full retail. The markup on the parts and accessories for this stuff reminds me of the appliance industry.....oh your silverware rack on that Kenmore dishwasher is broke? That'll be $387 sir....or perhaps you'd like to look at our newest model of XWZ complete dishwasher at only $394 delivered. Really? $29 for a pack of 12 foam inserts?

I feel ya on the dishwasher...just had to do that. lol I work for BSN so I KNOW you can get a discount. But that should be everything you need, poles, fence anchors.

Apr 6, 2017
I think chain link is ugly but it gets the job done. Have a pro install it and forget about it. Plastic sounds
like was a waist of money.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I think chain link is ugly but it gets the job done. Have a pro install it and forget about it. Plastic sounds

Yeah, our field is hopefully going to be revamped and rearranged inn the next few years otherwise I'd agree with ya!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA

I agree with you...be nice if it was better looking but it kinda does the job the best and no worries with it durability wise. And price is better.

Oct 1, 2014
USA

If I ever have to do it again....I'd make a very strong case for the chain link fencing. The temporary fencing just does not hold up, first weekend of games and we've got busted poles and sagging fence to fix!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28