Fell Victim to the Chinese Change Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2016
@Northball
MIB said: "So yes, it is really easy to call it because it is DEFINED in the rule. "

And that was my point in saying use a LEGALLY deceptive pitch. The rules committee has deemed that the motion unfairly gives the pitcher an edge. So use the accepted deceptive pitch, that by my eyes looks pretty good!

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
What they WERE calling all weekend was the new rule about consulting the wristband on the rubber and then having to pause. I saw them give out at least three warnings during our games over the weekend.

May 20, 2016
Pretty slick regardless of legal or illegal.

Separate note, if the pitcher stopped her hand facing the batter after she let it go without going around would that be considered quick pitching and therefore be illegal?

May 27, 2013
I pitched both windmill and slingshot in high school. It wasn’t considered a quick pitch because I still stepped onto the rubber and paused. A batter would know in my case which was coming because my windups for each were completely different.

May 27, 2013
Back when I played in my area, slingshot was more common. I actually could throw harder slingshot vs windmill because I was never taught windmill mechanics.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Pretty slick regardless of legal or illegal.

Separate note, if the pitcher stopped her hand facing the batter after she let it go without going around would that be considered quick pitching and therefore be illegal?

No.

When people talk about 'Quick pitching' they are generally referring to either not pausing (the walkthrough) or not waiting for the batter to be set. Totally different thing. Has nothing to do about how you deliver or release the pitch.

If you read the case I posted on the first page, if the pitcher released the pitch on the way up and stopped her follow-through around her shoulder that is legal. But then it just looks a pitch without a windmill and it really isn't all that deceptive - but you certainly can.

Apr 12, 2015

No, that would just be a basic slingshot pitch. This pitcher could be very effective still if she would just stop her arm after release. What makes this pitch from her so deceptive, in my opinion, is that her slingshot windup looks exactly like her regular pitch windup. My DD used to throw a slingshot pitch, but she never mastered it looking the same as a regular pitch.

A quick pitch is when the pitcher basically does a walkthrough or otherwise doesn't effectively simulate taking a sign.

And looking back I see Marriard basically already said all this :)

Feb 27, 2019
I ran into this slip pitch last fall. I can't remember how much rotation she used after release, I think it was a full rotation though. I tried to challenge it but blue said it was legal. lucky for us she didn't have the accuracy with it to get strikes and the girls laid off of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28