Feeling overwhelmed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Does Cat know she uses I/R? I took my DD to her clinic at St. Eds the the other day and while she wasn't preaching HE, the pitching motion she was teaching was not I/R.

Is it possible that some pitchers stumble upon I/R as they learn their motion pitches and don't really know they use it?

W

This is not uncommon with hitting and pitching - teaching one thing and doing another.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As the dad of a DD who is a pitcher I am a BIG advocate of getting your DD on the best team she can play on and still be the #1 or #2 pitcher. The only way your DD will improve is if she is getting circle time. Do not put your DD on a team where she is the #3 or #4 pitcher. You would be better off playing on a lower level team with circle time.

As for pitching coaches - we have always left that up to the pitcher and their parents. I would not join a team that dictated which pitching coach my DD used, unless it was the one she wanted.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Just pointing out some of the terminology and words on this site (DFP) are not always universal. So when using the terms/words in the real world others may not understand what you are talking about.

Jan 16, 2014
She was coming off hip surgery and didn't do any full speed pitching. When demoing the circle her hand was not palm up or palm down but, vertical. Kinda halfway between. This was a clinic with 15 girls ages 8-12 so it could be just not wanting to muddy the waters.

LOL thought I posted in wrong thread but, 4 people had posted in 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Like JJ mentioned, finding video of true bowling/wristsnap/HE is tough. Here's a pitcher who appears to have been taught under this style, and demonstrates slamming the door:

She uses some whip/IR, but is missing her potential by a ton by trying to bowl/HE/etc.

Sorry, but I don't see any "Hello Elbow" here. That's one of the best "Fool the Coach" finishes I've seen is some time. She does it quite well. She's CLEARLY inside the ball, releasing with a good rotation. She's got a nice flex in the elbow at 12:00 and I would bet she can bring it. As a pitching community, we need to come up with a better name for the "Hand behind the ball, push through release" style that we all despise. Too many times I see the hand to the throwing shoulder as a "Smoke" and "Mirrors" finish to make the coach happy and it gets beat up as "Hello Elbow". This young lady isn't by any means behind the ball...pushing through at release.......from the video I see anyway. It may not be perfect, but it's not a good model of "What not to do".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802