Feedback on 11yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
Cornbread, as Pattar has stated, read the other threads here. You'll see LOTS of parents posting their DD's looking for feedback and at all levels. There are plenty that get offended when they secretly just wanted praise. There are only a handful of boards out there like this one, where there are some really dang smart and well versed instructors offering free advice. Read through a lot of the other threads here and you'll start learning a ton. Then come back and read this one and your eyes will start to be opened to the flaws your DD (and you) have.

My DD has always hit the ball hard and because of that, in the early years, I thought she had a great swing. The first time I posted her up (not here but another board where lots of the same folks visit) I was quickly humbled. :) I'm thankful for it. It was that humbling that helped me dive in and really start to understand the swing and what my DD needed to change. She hit the ball great for a 9yo. However, had she stayed with that same swing, she'd be getting murdered at 16/18u. It's because of all the years of work that she kept on hitting well at each level. As Pattar hinted at, don't ever take success at any level as a sign of a good swing.

Aug 20, 2017
Cornbread, as Pattar has stated, read the other threads here. You'll see LOTS of parents posting their DD's looking for feedback and at all levels. There are plenty that get offended when they secretly just wanted praise. There are only a handful of boards out there like this one, where there are some really dang smart and well versed instructors offering free advice. Read through a lot of the other threads here and you'll start learning a ton. Then come back and read this one and your eyes will start to be opened to the flaws your DD (and you) have.

My DD has always hit the ball hard and because of that, in the early years, I thought she had a great swing. The first time I posted her up (not here but another board where lots of the same folks visit) I was quickly humbled. :) I'm thankful for it. It was that humbling that helped me dive in and really start to understand the swing and what my DD needed to change. She hit the ball great for a 9yo. However, had she stayed with that same swing, she'd be getting murdered at 16/18u. It's because of all the years of work that she kept on hitting well at each level. As Pattar hinted at, don't ever take success at any level as a sign of a good swing.
I’ve been on here for a a while and have learned a ton. I disagree with many things I read also. One thing I’ve noticed is that when facing good pitching (speed) she doesn’t have time to allow the bat to drag as much and her swing is better. Against slower pitching she has more time for things to go wrong. I’ve coached softball for years and have a pretty good understanding of hitting. I still think her problems are scap load (pull back). Gonna work on getting the front shoulder in and down longer and maintaining resistance. I do think she has a good swing for her age but I also know that it has to get better for her to continue to have high level success.

Apr 16, 2013
I've found time and time again that LOTS of players have issues with slow pitching. My DD's 18u team faced this a few times last showcase. My DD is not one of them. I think the crucial thing to understand is that nothing changes with your swing (or her swing). Just when you start the load is different based upon where the ball is in flight or the pitcher is in her movements. If it's a slow pitcher, you just wait longer to start your movements, sometimes waiting until the ball is already in the air.

Oct 2, 2017
I've found time and time again that LOTS of players have issues with slow pitching. My DD's 18u team faced this a few times last showcase. My DD is not one of them. I think the crucial thing to understand is that nothing changes with your swing (or her swing). Just when you start the load is different based upon where the ball is in flight or the pitcher is in her movements. If it's a slow pitcher, you just wait longer to start your movements, sometimes waiting until the ball is already in the air.

Wow, I was just explaining this to my DD since she is entering her first season of kid pitch

Jun 8, 2016
Wow, I was just explaining this to my DD since she is entering her first season of kid pitch
Every kid on my DD's now 1st year 12U team has issues with this. I don't ever remember thinking to myself damn this kid is too slow when I played but we also played a lot of HR derby and wiffle ball so adjusting to pitch speed may have come more naturally.

Oct 2, 2017
Every kid on my DD's now 1st year 12U team has issues with this. I don't ever remember thinking to myself damn this kid is too slow when I played but we also played a lot of HR derby and wiffle ball so adjusting to pitch speed may have come more naturally.

That why especially for young players, on deck circle is your friend. How many times do you see young plays jacking around, taking hacks with bat, instead of timing their dance (as I call it) with the pitcher!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28