Feedback on 11yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Someone posted in another thread (Didn't want hijack it) that my DD has bat drag. Looking for more feedback. I know the back elbow goes way too early causing the hands to drop and barrel get too low. We’ve always focused on tilting shoulders, not rotating them early and legs. Do I just need to do a bunch of stride pause swing drill focusing on pull back and maintaining it? She is one of the best hitters in our area and will move up to 12U this fall! Now is the time for me to fix her swings issues.

Oct 2, 2017
Someone posted in another thread (Didn't want hijack it) that my DD has bat drag. Looking for more feedback. I know the back elbow goes way too early causing the hands to drop and barrel get too low. We’ve always focused on tilting shoulders, not rotating them early and legs. Do I just need to do a bunch of stride pause swing drill focusing on pull back and maintaining it? She is one of the best hitters in our area and will move up to 12U this fall! Now is the time for me to fix her swings issues.

Do you mean focus on pull back and maintaining it to solve the bat drag? If so, then I would say no. Although pull back is a good area to work on other wise. I say this from my experience with my own DD. So take it how you will. Personally if you are trying to solve the Bat drag issue, I would say you need to get her to understand the back side. At the 3 sec mark you see her automatically begin to lean back and drop her shoulders etc. This to me is a common issue. Even one I remind my daughter of. Once they make that move, everything becomes disconnected. The hands, shoulders etc. This leads to the dropping of the hands and barrell.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
What I am seeing that is causing more of her problems is she doesn't make her forward move with a downward shoulder angle. In the swing her front shoulder is getting way too far up. Have her work on a shoulder that is pointing down towards second base when she lands at toe touch/ heel strike.

Oct 2, 2017
What I am seeing that is causing more of her problems is she doesn't make her forward move with a downward shoulder angle. In the swing her front shoulder is getting way too far up. Have her work on a shoulder that is pointing down towards second base when she lands at toe touch/ heel strike.

I totally agree, that's basically what I was saying.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I would work on a more "sudden" swing.
She seems to let things drift, slowly, downward, as she is reading the pitch.
maybe work on holding a good loaded position, and launching swing *directly* from there?

Sep 29, 2014
I'm actually seeing two different swings (tee/live) each with issues but doesn't look like she has the drastic drag on tee swing.

Definitely going to second @corlay comments the live swing looks very much like what we see in beginners which is a track the ball swing level type swing; looking frame by frame her live pitch hitting sequence she brings the bat all the way down to the level of the pitch then swing forward, you can see it in still below, the tee swing is a little more direct but still not quite right. I tried to get these stills at the same point in her swing, focus on knob just to get an idea of what is going on live she has laid the bat completely flat before swinging on the tee she is leaning way back and kind of has her legs bending but the hand path looks more direct...not direct enough but much better than live swing.

I have found that doing some low tee work helps to get girls to understand bat angle versus hands down swing flat. Put the tee knees or even just below and let them feel a swing where their hands are well above the ball then slowly move the ball up to where thigh and belt high they still keep hands above ball with a direct path and they understand they don't need to bring hands down first.

I think focusing on a more direct path is key for now.

addisonlivedrag.JPGteenotflat.JPG

Sep 17, 2009
If you slow down the live swing, you can see her reaching out with her front leg. This ends the possibility of using the body as a power source so she has to recruit her arms to power it. The bat-drag look and action you see is her trying to create that power.

She does NOT do that in her tee swing -- likely because she isn't trying to time and hit a moving pitch -- but her hands do drift and drop a bit from her rear shoulder, at least in part because the tee is pretty far out in front and she has to get the barrel there.

Aug 20, 2017
I'm actually seeing two different swings (tee/live) each with issues but doesn't look like she has the drastic drag on tee swing.

Definitely going to second @corlay comments the live swing looks very much like what we see in beginners which is a track the ball swing level type swing; looking frame by frame her live pitch hitting sequence she brings the bat all the way down to the level of the pitch then swing forward, you can see it in still below, the tee swing is a little more direct but still not quite right. I tried to get these stills at the same point in her swing, focus on knob just to get an idea of what is going on live she has laid the bat completely flat before swinging on the tee she is leaning way back and kind of has her legs bending but the hand path looks more direct...not direct enough but much better than live swing.

I have found that doing some low tee work helps to get girls to understand bat angle versus hands down swing flat. Put the tee knees or even just below and let them feel a swing where their hands are well above the ball then slowly move the ball up to where thigh and belt high they still keep hands above ball with a direct path and they understand they don't need to bring hands down first.

I think focusing on a more direct path is key for now.

View attachment 14686View attachment 14687
Thanks for the reply! I have never taught her to swing level and disagree that she has a level swing (not sure if you are saying that). The front shoulder is an issue, it needs to stay in and down longer but I think with better pull back and longer resistance that will be fixed. I always like to think the backside controls the front side in hitting. I have taught her tempo to be slow early and then explode. Bat laying flat is issue also but again, I think with better scap load (pull back) she will stop laying the bat flat. We just won the national championship 10U in gulf shores and she was named offensive mvp! Moving up to 12U now and want to fix these issues. Gonna work it and I’ll repost. I’ve got more game swings. She saw majority change ups after first day of tournament.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802