Feedback on 11yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
That why especially for young players, on deck circle is your friend. How many times do you see young plays jacking around, taking hacks with bat, instead of timing their dance (as I call it) with the pitcher!
Good luck with that..I have been preaching that to my DD for 2 years and while she does try to time the pitcher what I never see is her actually adjusting when she does this e.g. she will "time it" wrong ( I can see it is off from 220 feet away :LOL: ) and then just keep doing it..LOL!!

ambrosia.moore

brosia18
Jul 17, 2019
Someone posted in another thread (Didn't want hijack it) that my DD has bat drag. Looking for more feedback. I know the back elbow goes way too early causing the hands to drop and barrel get too low. We’ve always focused on tilting shoulders, not rotating them early and legs. Do I just need to do a bunch of stride pause swing drill focusing on pull back and maintaining it? She is one of the best hitters in our area and will move up to 12U this fall! Now is the time for me to fix her swings issues.

In the “Game Swing 1” video, I don’t see much of a load when getting ready for the pitch. All the things you said seem to be correct though, so some changes, and doing some good drills should really help her! Quite the swing for someone her age! Good luck in 12U!

Oct 2, 2017
Good luck with that..I have been preaching that to my DD for 2 years and while she does try to time the pitcher what I never see is her actually adjusting when she does this e.g. she will "time it" wrong ( I can see it is off from 220 feet away :LOL: ) and then just keep doing it..LOL!!

I've previously done, a drill in which I change pitching wind up speeds to see if she can adjust, when she starts. Let me tell you it throws her off.

Sep 29, 2014
@Cornbread first let me apologize if you I offended you with the beginner comment. She does not have a beginners swing she has a issue that is common with beginner is what I think I was trying to convey. I think all the video is from behind except the tee swing so it might be a little hard to do a frame by frame comparison with a model swing but two thing do jump out. A previous poster mentioned the launch position is a little off that is a sequence thing where she is not reaching back or holding and leaks early instead of waiting until after toe touch to initiate the forward portion of her swing the second is her first motion in her hand path is not directly to the ball but down first then to the ball. I'll try and do a few stills to explain in a follow up post. Also I am a big don't mess with success person but I think even you understand as she goes up in level of pitching she will face she needs to up her hitting game as well.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man

Rear forearm vertical (good is flat), elbow down (good is up), bat head is down (good is up).

You will see massive improvement with 15 minutes worth of instruction with a dry drill.

Sep 29, 2014
@efastball is right on target here. Drill you need is simply having her start from relaxed and ready like she is in the box then take small stride/step (her small no stride is fine...style) and then when her heel come down she needs to freeze. The key is for her to not have ANY forward component up to this point everything is coil, reach back even if she is done reaching back make her hold at heel down, she needs to FEEL this position, hands back and separation achieved, back side loaded and coiled and front foot down this is that stretch/launch position she has to get into (frame three below; I think I caught Lauren one frame late but close enough)

Next is her hand path...I hate describing it this way but it is the easiest way to visualize what I'm talking about without being there. Imagine you are standing directly facing her in the still from @efastball posted above you would be staring at the knob of the bat. Now below I've posted two model swings Lauren and Josh (they have different style and these pitches are in different locations but all the correct mechanics still show through). Now look at both pictures...you can't see the knob because the path is direct the only person that should see the knob is the catcher at heel plant (third frame) and the pitcher (fifth frame) you standing facing the batter never see the knob. Please no silly comments about knob to the bat being are terrible cue (THAT IS NOT WHAT IM SAYING) I agree because it does not really describe what is happening and leads to all sorts of silly instructions that don't actually replicate the swing but this is for visualization purposes only.

six frame both j.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23