Feedback/Constructive Criticism of 13yo DD appreciated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
She is far from a finished product, but has come so far in the last several months since changing her pitching coach. There are some obvious problems, but I would appreciate feedback on prioritizing and/or finding root causes of them. BTW, I think she is throwing a curve in the back view video in case it matters.

[video]https://youtu.be/bobxv_tU170[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/RmV4QWLFf1E[/video]

Last edited:
May 9, 2015
West Virginia
Biggest issue to attack in my opinion (and I'm just a bucket dad) would be forward lean with no front side resistance. I would check out the device mechanics thread and the front side resistance thread.

Jul 22, 2015
Thanks. That lean comes and goes a bit. With full drive/stride effort it seems to be worse, and lead to (or results from?) even less front side resistance as you see here. I would certainly love to hear any advice on the "how" to fix these if anyone has some.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
First thing... need to fix her circle plane. Imagine a large plate... or as Hal used to say... a hula hoop. It needs to be aligned over or slightly outside the throwing shoulder. She is coming up across her body... causing too much rotation up and over the circle.

Posture. She is throwing with her entire right side... as opposed to stabilizing and whipping across her body. The forward lean you see is forward effort.... and that has her pushing or guiding the ball. We are not shoving the ball forward... we are throwing it. Revisit the I/R sticky... and watch the videos I posted in the DM sticky regarding throwing.

Her drive is not bad... her posture, circle, and whip mechanics are what needs work.

Jul 22, 2015
"She is throwing with her entire right side."

That resonates with me and makes so much sense. Thank you

Nov 7, 2014
Front side and arm circle as java said, but from rear view she does seem to have some nice palm down curve ball action on the release, but forward lean makes release late. :)

Oct 6, 2015
One thing that helped my daughter with front side resistance and posture was focusing on the landing of the stride foot. Your daughter is doing what mine was. She is landing heel first, which causes them to continue on past the point where front side resistance should happen. Have her focus on landing toe (ball of her foot) first, and stick the landing. It should cause some push back.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
One thing that helped my daughter with front side resistance and posture was focusing on the landing of the stride foot. Your daughter is doing what mine was. She is landing heel first, which causes them to continue on past the point where front side resistance should happen. Have her focus on landing toe (ball of her foot) first, and stick the landing. It should cause some push back.

BINGO! Exactly MountainMan! Meece, read Java's drive mechanics thread regarding landing with the stride foot. He explains that it should first be taught to land on the ball of the foot and then as they advance a mid-foot strike is where most will fall. He also states that you should NEVER (maybe not his exact words) land on the heel first.

As MountainMan stated above, immediately change her to land on the ball of the foot. It will help her posture and lean INSTANTLY while providing a push back. I would expect within 10 minutes you will see better results.[video]
eb1og0.jpg
[/video]

Jul 22, 2015
Thanks guys! Forget to look at those "little" things sometimes. We'll be working on that right away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802