Feedback - 1st year 12U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks man. Might help to take video at some slower pitches too. She likes the hot cages (60+) so every now and then I'll let her go in there and swing away. My next vid I'll have it at a pitch speed more 12U level.

I assume this is off of a pitching machine. I'm not against them, and don't want to start a whole debate on that topic, but while trying to teach different mechanics, I would stick strictly to tee and front toss. Then during game time you should be able to see how the mechanics are beginning to take hold if you get video. At this age its hard to make adjustment at Game speed and higher. Just my opinion.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Fair enough, appreciate the feedback. :)

Like you said. She was in the ‘big girl’ cages. She’s timing a machine. Much harder to do then coach toss. The pitch is low and away. And your dd adjusts to the pitch like your suppose too. Barrels it up well. You can tell by the recoil in her arms that the speed overwhelms her but she still stayed through it.

Video in an age appropriate cage next time.

As you said before, she’s becoming more consistent. That’s the goal. You asked about ‘sweeping’ longer swing. Fix the back arm and the swing will shorten up.

You felt ‘she was almost there’. What was meant by that? You like where shes going and what has transpired on the field lately? Results on the field are what you’re looking for. If that’s the case. Don’t mess with it. If you see other gapping holes, ask for a look again. What I would not do is a complete overhaul when you said ‘I think she’s almost there’.

If the movements I see are deliberate, I think mechanically she is solid and will get better with reps. mho.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What's dropping the barrel mean? Again, thx for the feedback. Been watching the vids a lot and working on a plan to help her out.
That would be dumping the barrel. Per the general definition. I don’t see that in your DD. She casts the bat away from her causing a longer route to the ball not a dump. She doesn’t drop her hands either. Her scap retract is cut a bit short, but I think due to the speed of the pitch. Speeds her up a bit.

Tempo matters, especially upstream during the the load/stride/stretch phases of the swing.

Oct 18, 2018
Like you said. She was in the ‘big girl’ cages. She’s timing a machine. Much harder to do then coach toss. The pitch is low and away. And your dd adjusts to the pitch like your suppose too. Barrels it up well. You can tell by the recoil in her arms that the speed overwhelms her but she still stayed through it.

Video in an age appropriate cage next time.

As you said before, she’s becoming more consistent. That’s the goal. You asked about ‘sweeping’ longer swing. Fix the back arm and the swing will shorten up.

You felt ‘she was almost there’. What was meant by that? You like where shes going and what has transpired on the field lately? Results on the field are what you’re looking for. If that’s the case. Don’t mess with it. If you see other gapping holes, ask for a look again. What I would not do is a complete overhaul when you said ‘I think she’s almost there’.

If the movements I see are deliberate, I think mechanically she is solid and will get better with reps. mho.

Ya, gonna adjust her mechanics along with reps off the tee. Then grab/post another video off an "age appropriate" cage. They have a softball pitching machine where you can adjust the speed. So when the time comes I'll capture some vid and post her progress. The kid adjusts well with instruction (she can be more analytical than me sometimes). Will be interested to see how she does over the next few weeks. Thx again, nice community here.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
tumblr_prmc8m2MAl1usf292o1_250.gif

Sorry to say...DD isn't 'almost there'. There's a lot of work ahead of her.
Using your hips and hands?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom