Fear of getting beaned

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
Funny you ask. She pitches and plays a little 2b but a lot of CF. She is an amazing fielder at the pitcher position. Put her at 2b or any other infield position where she has time to think while reacting and she will move out of the way of a scorcher rather than stay in front and try to block it. She is our best outfielder however when it comes to running down and catching fly balls. Does that affect a cure to her hitting?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sounds like she's afraid of getting hit by the ball in general, but particularly when she has time to think. And telling her it won't hurt won't fly because she knows from experience that it will! From a fielding standpoint, I might suit her up and put her behind the plate for a BP session either machine or live. With the equipment on she can get used to staying with the ball that she know is coming right at her. With the equipmnet still on, I then might consider putting her up at bat against the machine w/ her standing either in/or just out of the path of the ball to show her she can get out of the way if needed and to get her to trust her judgement on whether she needs to move or not i.e., see how close to the ball she can get without getting hit. Of course this might not work! Depends on the kid and what's going through her head - might be worth talking about to see if there's more contributing to her apparent fear.

Oct 19, 2009
The strange part was that looking at the book and her batting average you would never guess how she really swings.

To both Sluggers and Peppers: Have you found that after doing these drills the player becomes more aggressive at the plate?

I would not say more aggressive, but having confidence they can get out of the way of balls thrown at them and being able to concentrate on hitting instead of being hit.

Apr 13, 2010
Sounds like she's afraid of getting hit by the ball in general, but particularly when she has time to think. And telling her it won't hurt won't fly because she knows from experience that it will! From a fielding standpoint, I might suit her up and put her behind the plate for a BP session either machine or live. With the equipment on she can get used to staying with the ball that she know is coming right at her. With the equipmnet still on, I then might consider putting her up at bat against the machine w/ her standing either in/or just out of the path of the ball to show her she can get out of the way if needed and to get her to trust her judgement on whether she needs to move or not i.e., see how close to the ball she can get without getting hit. Of course this might not work! Depends on the kid and what's going through her head - might be worth talking about to see if there's more contributing to her apparent fear.

Not much chance of that. We tried it last year and she was so far back in the catcher's box there was barely room for the umpire!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not much chance of that. We tried it last year and she was so far back in the catcher's box there was barely room for the umpire!

I suggested you try it NOT during a game so that there wasn't any extra pressure and you could work her through it in a controlled step-wise fashion. Sounds like her SB playing days are limited unless something changes soon!

Apr 13, 2010
I suggested you try it NOT during a game so that there wasn't any extra pressure and you could work her through it in a controlled step-wise fashion. Sounds like her SB playing days are limited unless something changes soon!

Easy now! We were scrimmaging amongst ourselves with a parent suited up to umpire. I would (almost) never try someone who wasn't tried and true in the catcher position during a travel game.

I agree though. At this point I think she's worth saving if we can figure it out.

Being a 12u coach, I, unlike other of my peers have not had the experience of taking a team through 18u and starting back again. For those who have, is this something some kids grow out of?

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
If her folks would let you, you could post some video of her. Start with overhand throw and catch, fielding some grounders and some of her hitting squishy balls.

I would also like to recommend the video Mental Fundamentals, that would give her some real positive "cue words" to think of.

Nov 8, 2009
midwest
i think it is obvoius that this is strictly a fear issue here. unfortunately fear keeps many players from having success for years. if she can not find a way to overcome it, she will always have on field issues. regarding your player at the pitcher position she merely reacts to object headed her way, simply body reaction to stop object. out in the field her mind has time to think and says, "get out of here before you get hit." i have found there is no one answer for everyone. each kid will likely require a different approach from the next kid. and be advised, some will never overcome the fear. i currently have a 17 year old player that seems to only have an issue when playing in front of a crowd. she is a great practice player anywhere you place her on the field regardless of how hard the ball is hit at her, game time arrives, she may as well keep stats in the dugout, she simply losses all control when fans show up. i just posted anwer to similiar question regarding hitting under title "stud off machine, dud off live pitcher."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802