Favorite Games at Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2016
If you do a last man standing type of game, get a cheap WWE Championship belt from Toys R Us or Amazon. Winner takes home the belt and has to defend it at the next practice. Kids 12 and under love it!

Sep 21, 2017
PA
If you do a last man standing type of game, get a cheap WWE Championship belt from Toys R Us or Amazon. Winner takes home the belt and has to defend it at the next practice. Kids 12 and under love it!

My HS girls would love this. Thanks for the idea!

Jan 25, 2022
$5 is a game I found out about this year from our head coach. It's very entertaining.

Here's one that was taught to me in high school. We literally just played it on breaks during marching band practices (free opportunity to make band camp jokes if you want).

We were bored, and had a tennis ball. So one of the guys says "let's play Butt's Up." I know...this sounds bad already.

Anyway...you find a wall good for bouncing the tennis ball. Everyone stands at a distance. You call someone's name and throw it off the wall, and they have to catch it in the air or off a bounce without dropping or letting it get past them. If they fail to do so, they stand at the wall, facing it, and everyone gets a chance to throw the ball at their butt. A direct strike results in a point for the thrower. If they make the play they immediately call a name and bounce it off the wall again. This is all done at 40+ feet so it's not some lethal distance.

If I can find a wall for the kids to use, I may have them play in the summer. We can find a more appropriate name and have them aim for each other's back or something. Maybe could even make a paper target on a string they can wear when at the wall.

Allegedly the side walls of the concession stand are standard cinder block (dugouts are textured) and they can play the ball in their gloves off the grass. A batting helmet when standing before the firing squad seems like a must. I think it would be a great way to get them playing bad hops and focusing. There's a difference between getting an earful from the coach vs taking a tennis ball to the backside.

I've never found anyone else who has heard of this game, but it's fun and hilarious to watch.

Fun fact...not long after learning the game, we talked the new assistant pastor at the church into playing with us. I'm sure he only did it in the spirit of being "cool," but I appreciated his participation nonetheless. It's a lot safe playing with a volleyball though.

Oct 26, 2019
$5 is a game I found out about this year from our head coach. It's very entertaining.

Here's one that was taught to me in high school. We literally just played it on breaks during marching band practices (free opportunity to make band camp jokes if you want).

We were bored, and had a tennis ball. So one of the guys says "let's play Butt's Up." I know...this sounds bad already.

Anyway...you find a wall good for bouncing the tennis ball. Everyone stands at a distance. You call someone's name and throw it off the wall, and they have to catch it in the air or off a bounce without dropping or letting it get past them. If they fail to do so, they stand at the wall, facing it, and everyone gets a chance to throw the ball at their butt. A direct strike results in a point for the thrower. If they make the play they immediately call a name and bounce it off the wall again. This is all done at 40+ feet so it's not some lethal distance.

If I can find a wall for the kids to use, I may have them play in the summer. We can find a more appropriate name and have them aim for each other's back or something. Maybe could even make a paper target on a string they can wear when at the wall.

Allegedly the side walls of the concession stand are standard cinder block (dugouts are textured) and they can play the ball in their gloves off the grass. A batting helmet when standing before the firing squad seems like a must. I think it would be a great way to get them playing bad hops and focusing. There's a difference between getting an earful from the coach vs taking a tennis ball to the backside.

I've never found anyone else who has heard of this game, but it's fun and hilarious to watch.

Fun fact...not long after learning the game, we talked the new assistant pastor at the church into playing with us. I'm sure he only did it in the spirit of being "cool," but I appreciated his participation nonetheless. It's a lot safe playing with a volleyball though.
We use to play “wall ball” this way.

Oct 26, 2019
That's a more age appropriate name for it. If it was a bunch of baseball boys it wouldn't be a big deal. As boys, we played games with FAR more inappropriate names...lol
Yes we did. Most of us probably played a tackle football game with a pretty inappropriate title when we were younger.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I used to end practices for younger players w/ a pop fly contest. Started with a hand toss just high enough to have them look up. Every player would advanced a few rounds, unless they lost concentration. Which happened. As they got better and older, it would sometimes ended with me hitting the ball about as hard and deep as I could. That's what retired the game.

Also, occasionally I'd have a whiffle ball game in lieu of practice. Although it really was practice. It allowed the players to learn certain skills - particularly base running, pitch selection and defensive decision-making - in a very faced-paced and fun way that really can't be replicated otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28