FAVORITE DRILLS~Got One?!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
Not necessarily a "drill", but I have an end-of-practice, scrimmage-style game I like playing every so often if the girls have been good/behaving themselves and we have time to do it. I call it the "Hitting Game".

Setup: Coach doing side-toss hitting to a batter - all other girls in a defensive position on the field (excluding catcher, depending on number of girls).

- Each girl gets a predetermined number of swings/hits (let's say 3 for this example). On these first 3 swings, the batter does NOT run. Infield goes to 1, outfield cuts to 2.
- Foul balls do not count as a "hit" - all "hits" must be fair balls.
- Any ball fielded cleanly and played to 1st OR caught in air (pop up/line drive) = 0 points.
- Any ball hit out of the infield to the outfield OR any error made by an infielder (bobble, overthrow to 1st, etc.) = 1 point.
- Any ball hit passed the closest outfielder = 2 points.

We then total these points. The last hit (#4 here) is LIVE - batter is running, etc.
- Every base safely touched by the batter-runner is a multiplier (e.g. 4 points x a single = final score of 4 points).
- If the batter-runner is called OUT at ANY time during their run (tagged, fly ball, force out, etc), they lose all their points and finish with a score of 0. This lets the batter test themselves and see, "Do I push it or do I stay conservative?"

Players then rotate positions on the field so that everyone has the chance to bat and play other positions (aside from pitcher if they are not comfortable or are not a pitcher). Player(s) with the highest point totals at the end of the game can EITHER choose their reward OR everyone else's (reasonable) punishment. The girls love this game because it's individual versions of "One-Versus-All" - one batter vs. an entire team, but the "entire teams" always change based on who is at-bat. It gets competitive like you have no idea - the girls always want to get their friends out OR gang up on the stronger bats on the team because then it gives the others a more fair chance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood