Favorite DD Story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2010
ADD among children is a spectrum . . . almost all have it to some degree ;) (not meant to diminish or disregard the diagnosis, just my experience, including a child on autism spectrum (very high functioning) misdiagnosed with ADHD for years)

Agree...but all people.....not just children.
Even men......as age lose ability to concentrate.....and is a recognized indication for testosterone injections ....male menopause

My dd actually takes medicine, and has since middle school because helps tremendously with school work. She graduates grad school in dec.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
DD2 was the number 2 or 3 player in the rec ball draft at age 7. Coach who picked her knew that she pitched and asked my wife "How many pitches does she have?" My wife replied " 2, a ball and a strike".

The next funny story is when DD2 was on her unofficial visit when the Coach told us the story of when they were watching her in Colorado. He just sat down to watch our game and DD2 hits a HR. He texts the Head Coach and tell her about the HR. The next game the Head Coach is watching and DD2 hits another HR. The Head Coach texts the assistant Coach and says she needs to quit hitting HR's or somebody else is going to like her. She hit 4 or 5 that week.

Jul 27, 2015
I have so many great memories, but I think this is my favorite one.

Second year of 14u. We are at ASA States and run into the premiere team in the state. I guess they were playing in this lowly tournament so they could go to ASA Nationals. They have GC, but they don't even list games against teams like ours on them They already have have 2 girls verbally committed to D1 teams.

My daughter finally gets to face a premier team. And...she got rocked. 4 innings. 8 hits. 2 k, 4 bb, 8 runs with 6 of them being earned. She clearly did not belong on the field with these premiere players.

Fast forward 2 years and about 4 months. We are on a new team. First year of 18u. My daughter faces the same team in a showcase game. Their two committed players are still D1 prospects, they are just now committed to two different colleges. Pretty much the entire team is now D1 commits.

My daughter had greatly improved her speed (60ish) and accuracy, but I was not very confident on how the game would go. We both remembered how it went in the last outing.

We are home and my daughter starts the game. First batter: daughter jams the batter. Dribbler to third. Third picks it up and throws it into RF. Runner on second with no outs. I am saying "No!!!! Not against this team." She then struck out the #2, #3, #4 and #5 batters. She only pitched 2 inning but she proved to everyone, especially herself, she belonged on the field with the big girls.

Jun 11, 2013
My 2 favorites are

1. When DD was in 8U she wanted to learn how to catch popups. I would throw here tennis balls over and over in the backyard for practice. She finally got one hit to her in a game and caught it and got the DP. I don't even think she knew why it was a DP but she definitely understood how practice paid off.

2. We were playing against a stud pitcher in a bracket game. It was a semi but the winner was going to win the tournament. We were down 1-0 in the top of the last inning. I told her a couple of batter prior that it was going to come down to her and she got up with runners on 2nd and 3rd and drilled one up he middle to tie the game. It was hit too hard to score 2 and we lost in Extras but the hundreds of balls she hit in practice again paid off.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Me and Anna have gone through a lot together in this game, a lot of good, and a LOT of bad! Even winning a HS State Championship together, my fondest memory is still winning a ASA World Series with a first year 12U church / rec team that decided to give travel ball a try! Headed by me and another coach who didn't have a clue, but we learned real quick!

A LOT of work, and blood, sweat, and tears went into that little team! That tournament win was the start of a lot of good things to come! She's had tons of awards, MVP's, 5 straight all conference awards, 1st team All-State award, recruited / committed........but my favorite story about my DD is just getting to see her grow up and to hang out with her in just about every State and every hotel chain on the East coast!

I swear I think softball is a great way to teach a young girl to get ready for the ups & downs and pressures of life!

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
DD's sophmore season of HS ball did not go as planned. Our first game was scheduled for 2/17 and on 2/13 there was a freak collision as she was running to first in a scrimmage and she broke her ankle. She ended up having surgery a week later having a rod installed. Best case she was told she was out 6 weeks worst case 10. She worked her butt off through rehab because she wanted to play in the state tourney. She had missed it the year before thank to a high ankle sprain during the area tournament leading into it.

Each follow up visit the doctor would tell her not yet. Finally her PT thought she was good. We scheduled a DR's appt for 4/30 and she was released. We then had to go by the PT to get their sign off and arrived at the HS as they were loading the bus to head out for the first round of our area tourney.

The first game was against the weakest team in our area, easy win. The second we faced off with the #1 seed and our biggest rival. The HC put DD in the lineup batting 2nd. Up until this point she had just done light hittings drills and her first really good swings were in warmups that night. Her first AB she hit a two run HR to LC. She followed that up with a grand slam the next day in the game that moved us into the regional tourney. We won our region and advanced to the state tourney with the final 8 teams.

Her HR is about the 1:14 spot of the video below. This was a very proud dad moment and i had a very hard time not crying that night knowing what she had gone through.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
DD's sophmore season of HS ball did not go as planned. Our first game was scheduled for 2/17 and on 2/13 there was a freak collision as she was running to first in a scrimmage and she broke her ankle. She ended up having surgery a week later having a rod installed. Best case she was told she was out 6 weeks worst case 10. She worked her butt off through rehab because she wanted to play in the state tourney. She had missed it the year before thank to a high ankle sprain during the area tournament leading into it.

Each follow up visit the doctor would tell her not yet. Finally her PT thought she was good. We scheduled a DR's appt for 4/30 and she was released. We then had to go by the PT to get their sign off and arrived at the HS as they were loading the bus to head out for the first round of our area tourney.

The first game was against the weakest team in our area, easy win. The second we faced off with the #1 seed and our biggest rival. The HC put DD in the lineup batting 2nd. Up until this point she had just done light hittings drills and her first really good swings were in warmups that night. Her first AB she hit a two run HR to LC. She followed that up with a grand slam the next day in the game that moved us into the regional tourney. We won our region and advanced to the state tourney with the final 8 teams.

Her HR is about the 1:14 spot of the video below. This was a very proud dad moment and i had a very hard time not crying that night knowing what she had gone through.

Feel good stories don't get much better than this!! Congrats Dad, I would have cried too! Admit it........you cried!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478