Favorite DD Story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have been thinking of past for some reason., running thru DD's softball career in my head. It is impossible to pick 1 memory there are so many. I am going to pick 1, if you would like to contribute please do.

So DD's best friend decides they should play SB, 8U. Friend is uncomfortable and quits before 1st game. DD was the best athlete on Team so of course she pitched. I remember, with no sarcasm in mind, good job you threw 2 strikes that inning. I was proud of her.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am going to break my own rule and tell another one. They gave medals at every tourney game. This is 8U again. The players on the opposing team gave it to my DD. The opposing HC ripped it out of her hand saying sometime like NO NOT HER AND gave it to another player. All the players on both teams are like what just happened here?

May 6, 2015
this past year (last fall and this spring summer) have not been kind to DD and her team, we went to this team she had guested with before, knew it was a one year deal (team is mostly 08s, DD is 07 so moving up), but HC said her wanted her and one of the other 07s on the team to be captains, and to provide leadership. other 07 hurt most of the spring/summer (#1 pitcher), team is taking a beating much of the time.

Great memory is after nearly every tournament where they got spanked, DD is going to at least one and normaly a couple of girls, the ones who really struggled that weekend, and talking to them, talking them up, telling them to keep their chin up, they can play better than that, etc. only a couple of times has her frustration gotten the better of her (always in heat of moment), but even then, she never singles out anyone, just trying to pick entire team up (come, we are better than this, lets get these easy plays, etc.).

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Forgive me for sharing this again:

June in the Pacific Northwest is in some years referred to as Junuary, but last year, at least on this one weekend it was hot. It was Sunday and my oldest daughter’s 12U team had made it to the championship game of a tournament in Bellingham, WA about 20 miles south of the Canadian border. They had gone undefeated until now, but they were down to their last at bats trailing by two runs in a defensive battle. The bottom of the line up, a girl called The Giraffe is our first batter. She’s number 12 in the order. Unlike most teams, my daughter’s team bats the whole lineup whenever they can, even in bracket play.

The Giraffe has a 1-2 count and does what every coach preaches against, she takes strike three looking, right down the middle. The chances of a comeback are wilting in the hot sun. However, before The Giraffe can return to the dugout she’s called back by the umpire. The umpire explains that he was not ready for the pitch. What everyone thought was strike three is called an illegal pitch and a ball is awarded to the batter. There’s new life. The pitcher delivers another ball and then after The Giraffe fouls one off, a fourth. A backwards K has been turned into a walk.

Now we’re back to the top of the order and perhaps the best ’04 player in the state, Slick, who is playing on a mostly ’03 team, is up. There’s some hope. Slick hits a nice double that scores The Giraffe.

We need one run to tie and The Barbarian, the other ’04 player on the team, is up to bat. The Barbarian blasts a triple and we have a tie game.

Now my DD, the number three batter is up. Coach calls a time out and calls my DD down to 3rd base to join him and the Barbarian in a discussion. Coach later tells me even if he didn’t have a clever and cunning plan in mind he would have had to call time out just to calm down The Barbarian who is hyperventilating with excitement. After a slow start to the season, my DD has become the best hitter on the team, leading the team in batting average, number of hits and doubles. So, it’s a surprise to everyone on our side when the first pitch comes and she lays down a bunt that goes right into the ground just in front of the plate. The catcher is also surprised and she scrambles out to collect the ball and throws it to first and allows the winning runner to score.

Now, that was an exciting end to a great tournament for my DD’s team, but what happened when we got in the car is my favorite memory of her softball career. When I said to her, bursting with excitement and enthusiasm, “Way to go, Game Winner!” she cut me short. “Dad, I didn’t win the game! The Giraffe had to get on, Slick hit a double and The Barbarian hit a triple. I just did a bunt that scored the last run.”

That really made me proud. That she sees the bigger picture and appreciates the game is a team effort. Of course, as her dad I replied, “Whatever, Game Winner!”

Jun 16, 2010
Most memorable tournament.....14U.....we had another local team nesr us that was very competitive....1 .great pitcher. We lost to her occasionally. We were everyones target.. we were one of 3 best teams in region.

Played competitive regional tournament 450 miles away. Temp was 105F. Game had to be stopped for an umpire who was getting unsteady on his feet to cool off. Came down to the championship game on Sunday night and it was us and that other local team from near us that was an rival. The thing about this other team was they had a few really nasty parents.

We rallied and had runner on 3 base in scoring position in the bottom of the last inning....with it tied and 2 out. We had been behind 1-0 most of the game after a homerun was given up. We had finally gotten to their good pitcher and she had started to unravel and gave up a few hits, before that she had kept us shut out the whole game. This was a very tense emotion-filled game and this other team hated us.....Their #1 replaced with another pitcher. Our coach went out and talked to the UMP , the ump talked to the pitcher ... Which he didn't have to do. After a few more pitches,.. He talked to her again. Then came over to talk to our coach. Coach told the girls in dugout to pack their stuff up and start heading off field. There wasn't going to be any slapping hands this game.

next pitch was immediately called illegal pitch and the runner on third went home and the game was over.

up to this point the parents didn't know what was going on on the field and that other nasty team exploded and was furious. A stream of profanity came from the other side of the field . A horrible ending at 9 p.m. at night and the temperature was still over 100.. drove all night to get home. Some funky sweat smells were emanating from the back seat.

That dominant pitcher the other team had got in an auto accident a year later, wasn't hurt bad but never did pitch the same again, was never dominant again. Ended up quitting softball.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2010
Of course, one about my DD......would be the time she scored in a tournament...... and headed into the other teams dugout by mistake. She later told me everyone was looking at her...... The coach was sitting there on his bucket and she said " wrong dugout "?... He nodded.

Her coach said he been coaching for 35 years at the time...... That was a first for him..

May 6, 2015
Most memorable tournament.....14U.....we had another local team nesr us that was very competitive....1 .great pitcher. We lost to her occasionally. We were everyones target.. we were one of 3 best teams in region.

Played competitive regional tournament 450 miles away. Temp was 105F. Game had to be stopped for an umpire who was getting unsteady on his feet to cool off. Came down to the championship game on Sunday night and it was us and that other local team from near us that was an rival. The thing about this other team was they had a few really nasty parents.

We rallied and had runner on 3 base in scoring position in the bottom of the last inning....with it tied and 2 out. We had been behind 1-0 most of the game after a homerun was given up. We had finally gotten to their good pitcher and she had started to unravel and gave up a few hits, before that she had kept us shut out the whole game. This was a very tense emotion-filled game and this other team hated us.....Their #1 replaced with another pitcher. Our coach went out and talked to the UMP , the ump talked to the pitcher ... Which he didn't have to do. After a few more pitches,.. He talked to her again. Then came over to talk to our coach. Coach told the girls in dugout to pack their stuff up and start heading off field. There wasn't going to be any slapping hands this game.

next pitch was immediately called illegal pitch and the runner on third went home and the game was over.

up to this point the parents didn't know what was going on on the field and that other nasty team exploded and was furious. A stream of profanity came from the other side of the field . A horrible ending at 9 p.m. at night and the temperature was still over 100.. drove all night to get home. Some funky sweat smells were emanating from the back seat.

That dominant pitcher the other team had got in an auto accident a year later, wasn't hurt bad but never did pitch the same again, was never dominant again. Ended up quitting softball.

OK, gotta ask, why was pitch called illegal, what was all discussions about (if you know)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812