Favorite Catchers Mitt for 18U/College/Pro level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
My only gripe so far is the lacing.
Yeah, I know! :rolleyes:

I’ve been busting Drakemir’s chops for years on the quality of Vinci’s lace (or lack of) and the last 4 or 5 high-end Rawlings I’ve got, the laces have been the only let down! Although still better than Vinci’s lace, still not up to the standards a custom or exclusive Rawlings should be!

I almost feel I owe Drakemir an apology, almost. ;)

I posted here the other day that I met Dan Davis at his son’s baseball camp and he re-laced the web and fingertips on my BRAND NEW Horween NP7, couldn’t live with them, terrible!

I guess my old DM Pro12TC set the standard and ruined me for what awesome laces are supposed to be like!

The All Star CMW3001 is honestly a front runner right now based on previous research and pricing. We have an All Star System Seven (Infield/pitchers glove) and have been fairly impressed overall.

Another Liberty Advanced isn't out of the question either. Price is decent and deals can be had.

I like that All Star myself too. Probably more so than the LA. I don't blame you either for not liking that colorway on the HoH. We saw that and didn't like it either.

is really stiff a good thing? DD likes hers well built, but still wants to be able to close it tightly on the ball for tag plays at HP

Well with DD's glove it is a little too stiff at the moment to use in a game for exactly the reason you said. It doesn't close just quite enough for the ball to not rattle around just a bit. She's using the glove in practice etc. to finish breaking it in but not games. She's too scared a ball will pop loose on a tag.
But yes I think stiff is a good thing to a point because the glove has to have good structure to hold up for a long time as well as maintain a pocket. Her old glove is a pancake.

I keep saying something about how stiff it is because when we first un-boxed it you couldn't even move it. We had a good laugh with it. When you do the custom order you have the option on break in. Can order mostly broke in, middle way or stiff. We ordered it with the stiff option. I had read elsewhere that if you order it with that option thicker leather is used and better finger inserts. I don't know if that applied to the catcher mitts but I wanted it made with the best materials and best way possible. I felt that possibly gave that to us. Least I hope lol.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Any others using a Wilson A2000 of fairly recent vintage? Not sure what colorway or web options they offer for the fastpitch model?

The All Star seems like a solid, can't go wrong for the money kind of mitt. Any negative reviews out there?

*I'd love to get the kid a custom Rawlings and I like most of the options and choices Travis made in ordering his. I'd take an exact duplicate, including ordering it in Stiff mode. But with twins most everything is multiplied by 2 (well, the Pitchers needs are slightly diff than the Catcher but it almost equals out expense wise) and they are both heading off to college in the Fall so there will be some "out of pocket" expenses coming up soon. ;-) Aaargghh

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Any others using a Wilson A2000 of fairly recent vintage? Not sure what colorway or web options they offer for the fastpitch model?

The All Star seems like a solid, can't go wrong for the money kind of mitt. Any negative reviews out there?

*I'd love to get the kid a custom Rawlings and I like most of the options and choices Travis made in ordering his. I'd take an exact duplicate, including ordering it in Stiff mode. But with twins most everything is multiplied by 2 (well, the Pitchers needs are slightly diff than the Catcher but it almost equals out expense wise) and they are both heading off to college in the Fall so there will be some "out of pocket" expenses coming up soon. ;-) Aaargghh

DD uses an A2000 that I got for her this year. It wasn't too difficult to break in, however, she's a first year 14. DD's catching coach recommends custom A2000's to her 16's/18's, you can get them in the stiff configuration which holds up well to daily use and faster pitching.

I really like the pocket and weight of the wilsons. Can't go wrong

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD has had the AS CMW3000 for her last 2 years of 18U TB and the past 3 years of college ball (even though she red-shirted last year). Recently she told me the padding started breaking down but she didn't want to get something else. I gave her my Liberty to take back with her while I ordered and am doing a quick break-in on her replacement CMW 3001. For a $150 mitt, It's hard to beat either one IMO. They're both lightweight, easy to break in and very comfortable for DD. If the 3001 lasts like her 3000, which I see no reason why it shouldn't, it'll get her through this and her last 2 years of CB.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
is really stiff a good thing? DD likes hers well built, but still wants to be able to close it tightly on the ball for tag plays at HP
Yes, stiff is a great thing! No other glove on the field even comes close to taking the constant abuse a catchers mitt does! In the end at upper ages it’s really about hand protection.

How many posts have you read here over the years where dads have complained and complained about breaking in a Vinci mitt? Their palm pad is RIDICULOUS!! Seriously, how many actually sold their Vinci because it was too stiff and they didn’t want to put the work in?

But those who labored on and didn’t give up (Eric and Jdaddy come to mind) now have a mitt that’s perfect for their DD’s and those girls won’t use anything else! Almost a cult following, especially Jdaddy and Mac! Lord knows I’ve tried to turn them on to a custom Rawlings, but they’re from Tennessee and both are just over the top stubborn! ;)

So yes (to me) stiff is a really good thing! Starts with the right materials and craftsmanship to build a glove with structure! Catchers mitts were never meant to be broken in in a week, or a month, it’s a process, no it’s a work in process! To me it’s what sits catchers apart, if you look close enough you’ll see those catchers who protect and sit their mitt a certain way in the dugout, they take care of them, they know just how much work went into it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478