Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Here are the facts that I am using when basing my decisions for our upcoming season:

1. Covid-19 is very serious and should not be taken lightly.
2. Loss of life by Covid/Flu/Car Accidents/etc is devastating to those affected.
3. 50%+ of all U.S. deaths are in the greater NY area (includes parts of NJ and CT).
4. The way of life in those areas are vastly different from our home base of North Texas. They live in much tighter environments and rely on mass transportation. And they come in close contact with others WAY more frequently (subway/walking/living/shopping).
5. The populations of Georgia and NC combined are about the same as greater NY metro (21M). Those states are responsible for 2.4% (approx) of the U.S. deaths.
6. The majority of news orgs are headquartered in NY. They are running 24/7 news cycles. Again they are based in the area of the country that is by FAR the worst.

I ask myself this question.......If the numbers were reversed, meaning over 50% of the deaths were in Georgia/NC and 2.4% in NY, would anyone be sheltering in place? My guess is that Wall St. would be fine, and it would be business as usual in NY. Maybe I am wrong.

As Texas (1.2% of deaths) starts to strategically lift the restrictions, we will cautiously make our way back to normal life.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So what are the number of reported cases? I was just using the numbers reported, if you have a better
number do give it..Or we can make up a number..how about 2 billion? I was just correcting the stated CFR given by @clemenslee1 using the reported numbers while giving the caveat that they will go down (maybe almost an order of magnitude)

No shi*? Wow thanks... ;)

Thanks. BTW, do you think everybody who gets the flu gets tested for it???

Edit: Also the flu number was for the whole world and I was using just US cases for the Covid number. If you actually take the numbers for the world, the CFR is closer to 7%
Simply stating the numbers are unknown.

You wanting to debate with unknown numbers and wether your right or not is your own thing.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
Just an observation - lumping all of NJ and NY into a single bucket of “hard hit areas” is misleading. The more densely populated areas of these states surely have the higher rates of positive cases, but there are plenty of players and teams located in these states living in areas that have very low positive cases. The town I live in has a less than 1% positive case rate based on our capita and the Covid mortality rate is .003% (all 65 years of age and older).

There is discussions that tourneys will ban teams from these states from traveling. Not justified from my perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 16, 2013
In America, I think the answer is pretty simple. If you're willing to take the risk, then take the risk. If you aren't, then don't take the risk. I don't mean that in a snarky tone to either side. It's the beauty of "freedom". You're "free" to choose. The lack of "freedom" we've had lately is another topic for a different forum, and some of those decisions by state legislators have multiple, multiple lawsuits, adding more every day.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Update from our HC re: possible summer/fall plans (in GA). Note: we play HS ball in the fall in GA. Second year 16U A-level team. How the conflict between HS and travel ball would be handled is another open question.

• Tournaments: I have received numerous emails from PGF, USSSA, USA Elite Select regarding future tournaments. I have not anything from USA Softball. I gut feel that there will be other circumstances that will dictate our summer schedule
  • Due to the recruiting / eligibility changes with the NCAA for the next year, I think that the showcase season will be extended into the fall which will conflict with HS season. For our age group, the showcases will become priority this summer / fall versus regional, national type tourneys, i.e. USA Nationals in Chattanooga.
  • My gut feel is that we will not be playing in Chattanooga. We will try and stay more local playing better competition. More showcases / tourneys are starting to be scheduled in our area. AGAIN A GUT FEEL!
  • My gut feel is that more invite only friendlies will take place. More due to the social distancing guidelines that will be in place for a while.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Question to all:
If your Governor or county health care official said is was OK to play friendlies/games on May 3rd, would you play? How about May 10th? May 31st? What is going to make you decide it is OK to play again?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Question to all:
If your Governor or county health care official said is was OK to play friendlies/games on May 3rd, would you play? How about May 10th? May 31st? What is going to make you decide it is OK to play again?

Personally, I want to wait two weeks past the date that GA opened up for business (some things opened last Friday, many restaurants opened yesterday). If there's no spike in cases two weeks out, I'd feel OK with letting DD attend practices and attending socially distanced friendlies. Big tournaments; no. Mainly b/c of the bathroom situation, honestly.

Apr 1, 2017
Question to all:

Not to completely sidestep your question, but it's one reason I'm "glad" Illinois extended the stay-at-home. I don't need to make the choice and can let the "opening up" states be the guinea pigs a little bit. If we see large spike in cases by mid/late May, probably good to stay shutdown. If they see a smaller increase, I'd feel much better about playing again.

Oct 2, 2017
Question to all:
Last I heard, from the Local league that If restrictions are lifted, then league would start May 11. I'm perfectly fine with that personally. What is going to make me decide that its ok? My answer is that nobody has been completely isolated. We've all been in contact with each other on a daily basis. I'm still working, my wife works in Medical and she is still doing tons of customers for curbside, Which requires physical contact. Masks and Gloves do not prevent the spread of viruses. Especially if not used properly, which the vast majority don't use properly to begin with. Anyhow, The vast majority have been getting food through curbside and drive throughs, also delivery. Going to the store on a regular basis. Going to Lowes for example. Thats a funny one. On avg. in my area the local Lowes where my brother works, avg. 150-190 people per hour for roughly an average of 5-6 hours a day every day. Thats roughly 3500 people a week flowing though there all at once. Think about that, even with the incubation period, there should be tons of cases happening everywhere. LOL The point I'm making is that in reality we haven't at least in my town been social distancing as much as made out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812