Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2018
Here in MA, yesterday was the first day in a while that the rate of daily increase was less than 10%. Social distancing is helping to lengthen the doubling rate, for sure.
Right now I think the state's hospitals are at 50% capacity. I don't see the state changing anything in terms of closures/social distancing until June at the earliest.

Mar 10, 2020
Pattar,
Im going to hijack, apologies. I would think the development of a vaccine should be straitforward. Vaccine development is a well known process. Many great companies working different angles. The sand in the gears will be how rigid is FDA going to be on efficacy/safety testing and trials. Part of me wants the vaccine done yesterday but too many historical examples of medicine done hastily counsels caution. Not sure I would like to make that decision and bear its consequences.
Would the same results as influenza vaccine be acceptable.

Apr 1, 2017
To followup, I think softball can be done come summer but I think tournaments will need to downscaled, more time give to transition between games and a large dose of personal responsibility and tolerance by participants (fans) to maintain a healthful environment. Aso, consideration to the area in which play is held (eg hotspot)

Assuming some sort of opening up happens, I think tournaments happening will be heavily determined by how "large groups" are interpreted. You can play a single game with under 30 players and coaches, but even a "local" USSSA tournament we have scheduled in June has 32 teams from 10U thru 14U. That's +/-500 players/coaches. Which number will be used for the "large group".

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't get it! Somehow it would be OK to have 30 players and parents (35 plus more) in close contact and touching the same ball. If one person has covid and infects 10 of the participants which go on to school the next day......

In other words, everybody has to get it or we all have to wait for vaccine. Take your pick.

Jun 8, 2016
In other words, everybody has to get it or we all have to wait for vaccine. Take your pick.
I said this before in another thread . Once we can operate under the same probabilities e.g. a) probability of getting infected and b) probability of death if infected, that we deal with every year with the flu then I will be comfortable. In order for a) to happen we either need a vaccine or the levels of infections to be very, very low since this seems to be more virulent than the flu. For b to happen we probably need better treatment options although as more testing happens the death probability will likely climb down and MAYBE approach the flu probability value.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2017
I don't get it! Somehow it would be OK to have 30 players and parents (35 plus more) in close contact and touching the same ball. If one person has covid and infects 10 of the participants which go on to school the next day......

If those are the only 2 choices, I vote for everyone get it. If everything stays "shutdown" until a vaccine, we'll all be able to get the vaccine as we wait in line for unemployment. From the beginning, everyone has talked about "flattening the curve" to save our hospitals and make sure everyone that needs treatment, can get it.

Apr 1, 2017
To be clear, I'm not arguing for softball right now. I will follow whatever the directions are. My worry is the idea that seems to be turning this into we're all going to stay in our houses for the next year so nobody gets sick. We can't hit the "pause" button like that, unless the fed government is just going to print every family $500K of monopoly money.

Jun 8, 2016
To be clear, I'm not arguing for softball right now. I will follow whatever the directions are. My worry is the idea that seems to be turning this into we're all going to stay in our houses for the next year so nobody gets sick.
I don't think anybody is suggesting that. What people (e.g. me previously in this thread) are suggesting is that holding off for an extra month than what might absolutely be necessary might be better off for the economy in the long run than going back too early and then having shutdowns periodically for the next few years because of spikes in infection. If people don't know if they are going to have a job from month to month they are less likely to go out and spend their hard earned money. Of course "the long run" is different for different people, for some what happens after November is an afterthought..

Hopefully a vaccine is developed quickly such that this (the spikes) doesn't happen. If the powers that be are given information in the next month or so which points to a quick development of the vaccine they will likely open things back up sooner.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
To be clear, I'm not arguing for softball right now. I will follow whatever the directions are. My worry is the idea that seems to be turning this into we're all going to stay in our houses for the next year so nobody gets sick. We can't hit the "pause" button like that, unless the fed government is just going to print every family $500K of monopoly money.

Agreed, love the celeb millionaires on TV saying we are all in this together and we will get thru this. If we had their bank
accounts, of course its easy. If I had Oprah's money, heck, I wouldn't care if we stayed home for a year but most
of America can't do this. The longer you pause the economy, the worse things will get. People are dealing with it now although
its hard on a lot of people. You add months onto it, you are going to have a HUGE issue that may not be controllable.

Aug 25, 2019
All the models have been wrong!-Cuomo First 1 to 2 million then revised down to 100,000 to 200,000 deaths and only if we follow their orders. I not claiming I have the answers but with their predictions being sooooo far off we need new (other) scientist and doctors to weigh in on this pandemic.

I think we have two choices and we need to come to terms with them. One is to wait (lockdown) until vaccine is developed (14 to 24 months) and the other is to slow apply herd mentality and let the chips fall where they may. I know, I am heartless. Both choices have very serious consequences.

It will be very interesting to watch how Sweden's model works (or does not). They have taken a much more common sense approach and not scaring the hell out of all their citizens. If the world gets a second wave of this virus in the fall and Sweden skates by with few cases and ends up with a lower death toll and less damage to their economy and society.
Brother, you can not compare Sweden with 10 million people to 320 million Americans. One thing that bothers me more about Comparing any American policy to A Scandanavian country is that I just got a calendar reminder that DDs softball game starts at 4:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802