Fatty Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
If she has several pitches that she can control. And she is lacking in speed. Why aren’t you working on speed instead of other grips?

I have stated that we are working on speed several times and it is the focus at the moment. IMO, you need to throw speed and then cool down a little and then throw speed. The cool down time are spins. Just got back from pitching today. Worked on speed and rise more than anything. Did throw the fatty grips and going to scrap the rise for sure. Fatty curve was much better and going to leave it up to her. Drop curve is going to be really good after seeing it again today.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If she can throw a palm up curve she's not too far away from a rise. For backspin with the curve grip the palm needs to face 3B at release instead of facing up. This is where a lot of pitchers have problems, without the support of the palm under the ball they lose their grip and the ball slips out. The fatty grip puts more fingers under the ball for support which allows the palm to face 3B at release.

Jan 28, 2017
If she can throw a palm up curve she's not too far away from a rise. For backspin with the curve grip the palm needs to face 3B at release instead of facing up. This is where a lot of pitchers have problems, without the support of the palm under the ball they lose their grip and the ball slips out. The fatty grip puts more fingers under the ball for support which allows the palm to face 3B at release.

Palm up curve is good. Sometimes she even gets a little rise on it or doesn't drop.

She throws one out of three rise balls that are above average but it is normally to high. The other two aren't as good but is a little above the zone and works currently. From her- when I throw a good one they don't swing (to high). I know it is tilt but if she doesn't throw a good one with correct tilt it says hit me. LOL.

Fatty grip rise for some reason are all high and outside and looks like curve action. I think she is just thinking to much. Not worth the time at the moment, IMO.

Nov 18, 2015
If you're only using the rise as a pitch to change the eye level, why not just go with a ramp ball at the top of the zone? With her accuracy, it sounds like she'd hardly ever miss "low". So they either swing under it, or take it for a ball. Either way, it's changed the batters eye level, which was the goal, and lets the drop / change / curve be the "out" pitch.

Jan 28, 2017
If you're only using the rise as a pitch to change the eye level, why not just go with a ramp ball at the top of the zone? With her accuracy, it sounds like she'd hardly ever miss "low". So they either swing under it, or take it for a ball. Either way, it's changed the batters eye level, which was the goal, and lets the drop / change / curve be the "out" pitch.

That's how we use it but she will probably need the rise later in life if she has a chance. I don't think it's bad it's just not as good as her change, curve, and drop. Hasn't thrown it as much as the other pitches. Have never worked throwing up except with the rise. Maybe we should. I clocked her myself for the 1st time ever this week and I'm keeping a log to try and encourage her to improve her speed. Drop was consistently 53, Curve 52, rise 52, drop curve was 52/53 and her change ranged from 42 to 46. Change has a ton of movement at 46 and of course slower at 42 but not as much movement.

Mar 9, 2011
Columbus IN
Palm up curve is good. Sometimes she even gets a little rise on it or doesn't drop.

She throws one out of three rise balls that are above average but it is normally to high. The other two aren't as good but is a little above the zone and works currently. From her- when I throw a good one they don't swing (to high). I know it is tilt but if she doesn't throw a good one with correct tilt it says hit me. LOL.

Fatty grip rise for some reason are all high and outside and looks like curve action. I think she is just thinking to much. Not worth the time at the moment, IMO.
The reason your fatty grip rise is high. Is the hand, and fingers are under the ball more. The up and out are her releasing late pulling up and acrossed. Tell her to get more aggressive pulling in on the back of circle. It will flatten circle out. Releasing ball flatter, and may increase her speed when you go back to normal grip.

So, since I may have been (note I said may) the person who coined the term "fatty grip", lets describe the grip more accurately.
The thumb still does apply some gripping pressure on the ball....but the pressure is more from the very base (fat part) of the thumb vs the end or tip of the thumb. The fatty grip tends to move the thumb closer to the index finger. It is a bit of a challenging grip and maybe not meant for all.
Is it an effective grip......if you think rise and curve spin rates of 40-45 RPS are good, then yes it is effective.
If you think spin direction on a riseball of 11:30 is good, then yes it is effective.
If you think speed variation is an effective tool for a pitcher to have, then yes it is effective.
Kind of to Bill's point......there are a million ways to grip a ball. Each kid has to find the grip that works best for them. This grip has been very effective for several very high level college pitchers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802