Fastpitch The Movie

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Ok, I know this is about men's fastpitch but some of you may enjoy this "documentary" style movie about men's fastpitch, some of the players, the teams, and characters in the game. First, no.. I am not in it. But I did play with/against everyone that is in this. The team I played on is shown a couple times but not me personally. This was filmed in 1995-97, the film maker is a buddy of mine. It's 1:26 long and WARNING there is foul language. Lots of "F" bombs. But it might make for something interesting while on lockdown at home.

Aug 21, 2008
"Don't tell me nothing about this #$*?! game!" Bruce Franklin.

He was a beauty. Probably the most intense guy I ever saw on a ball field. He loved to get into arguments and fights.... over softball. lol. The guy he was yelling about was the owner/sponsor of the NJ Gators, whom the filmmaker was playing for at the beginning of the movie. Bill Callagan. A nice guy but, Bruce Franklin was right... the guy didn't have a clue about things. lol

Aug 21, 2008
That was a fun ride. Looks like Porcelli got into some trouble with the law. 10 years for scamming people.

http://www.alsfastball.com/news/224...he-Sport-Of-Fastball-Peter-J-Porcelli-II.html

Peter got into some trouble back in the early 2000's with the government. So, he moved the base of his team's operations to various cities in Canada: Victoria BC, Calgary, and Orillia Ontario in different years. I think the US government was onto him so badly that the only way he could sponsor a team was if they were "Canadian", out of Uncle Sam's jurisdiction. In the movie they mentioned his "junk mail" empire. His company did junk mail fliers and also printed gas/electric bills for residents of Tampa. So, in printing all of those and mailing them, is postage bill was several million dollars per month. He would pay that with his AmEx black card, collect the frequent flier miles from AmEx, and use those to fly the team around the country and players in from around the world. This is also apparently a big no-no as he was indicted for this too. He's due to released to a half-way house in the next 12 months or so. I can tell you with 100% honesty, what you saw of Peter Porcelli in that movie is REAL. He was not acting at all about how great he thought he was, how smart he thinks he is, etc. etc.

Ironically, the one hero from the movie Nick McCurry (sponsor of the Ashland team) folded up his team about 1998 or so. He's now on the coaching staff of the NY Gremlins team, my former team, which is the biggest budget team in the game today. So while Nick says "the big money teams are killing the sport", he eventually joined one himself. lol. Hey, if you can't beat them..... lol.

Aug 21, 2008
"Sometimes I wish I were a gay fat fudge ballerina guy that never got into sports" -Yeah that's pretty intense. LOL

The guy would literally be foaming at the mouth before games, he was that jacked up about playing. Was a great guy to have as a teammate, horrible to play against. lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802