Fastpitch Softball vs. Baseball Stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2008
Yeah, I score our HS games and keep stats. It never fails that one will ask what her average is and I say .286 they're shocked. Errors and fielders choice don't count as hits.

Dec 4, 2010
TouchMint....I have used the baseball app for my 2 DD's and found it to be useful for HS ball and scrimmages. HS coach isn't good about sharing stats plus most of the time he has one of the girls who is sitting the bench keep the book, so accuracy is questionable.

One thing I have noticed is that when I put down a 2B, 3B, or HR it doesn't automatically count it as a hit and you have to remember to go in and add a hit as well. Not a huge issue, but took me a game or two to figure out. It does say that in the "info" section, but didn't find that until later.

For pitching it does break down ERA/7, but would be nice to see K/7, BB/7, etc.

This is much better than writing it down or trying to remember what your DD did. The spray chart idea is a good one for both the hitters and pitchers.

Not trying to derail your post, but something I haven't found is a good electronic solution for tracking/charting pitches - location, type of pitch, sequence, etc. We started pitch charting with our travel team and I created a manual sheet to do this. I know iScore has this capability, but its too hard to keep track of the game and the pitch info, so in my mind it needs to be a separate tool. Something like you baseball stats app that is designed for the individual and is pretty simple would be great for this.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I am always amazed at how much higher a players batting average becomes when their mom or dad are keeping the stats......I would bet it is worth .100-.150!

.100 at least. Even DW has been schooled by DD. No mom, FC is not a hit. Errors are not hits and sac bunts don't count against me.

Mar 26, 2013
I understand slapping is just a style of hitting and it would work into an average just as "regular" hitting would but ive had a few requests for separate stats based just on that (I assume so they can break down whats working for them) and then in the end a totaled average.

That does give me an idea of how to break down the slap hitting within the app though so thanks.
Seems like it would be similar to tracking switch-hitters LH and RH stats separately and combined.

I couldn't find a list of the 90+ stats tracked on iTunes or your web site. Where can I see a list?

Spray charts don't look feasible, so tracking types of batted balls (e.g. bunt, ground, pop-up, fly, line drive) would be useful both for hitting and pitching stats.

Pick offs for fielding?

Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
Seems like it would be similar to tracking switch-hitters LH and RH stats separately and combined.

I couldn't find a list of the 90+ stats tracked on iTunes or your web site. Where can I see a list?

Spray charts don't look feasible, so tracking types of batted balls (e.g. bunt, ground, pop-up, fly, line drive) would be useful both for hitting and pitching stats.

Pick offs for fielding?

Those are some great ideas! I love the idea of left vs right handed hitting. I need to give it a bit more thought but I think I might be able to do that for all stats and just have left, right, slap as a selector and stats would read from that if that makes sense. I want to make sure I have as many stats as possible but without it overwhelming for parents that might not know all these things so its a careful approach.

I have them all listed on the app store description at one time but ran out of room when i wanted to add some other info so i removed them. I should have the list somewhere but i cant seem to find it. If I dont find it by tomorrow I can just grab the code and format it for easy reading.

Thanks for the great suggestions many of those will be in the new app.

Dec 29, 2011
Tempe, Az
TouchMint....I have used the baseball app for my 2 DD's and found it to be useful for HS ball and scrimmages. HS coach isn't good about sharing stats plus most of the time he has one of the girls who is sitting the bench keep the book, so accuracy is questionable.

One thing I have noticed is that when I put down a 2B, 3B, or HR it doesn't automatically count it as a hit and you have to remember to go in and add a hit as well. Not a huge issue, but took me a game or two to figure out. It does say that in the "info" section, but didn't find that until later.

For pitching it does break down ERA/7, but would be nice to see K/7, BB/7, etc.

This is much better than writing it down or trying to remember what your DD did. The spray chart idea is a good one for both the hitters and pitchers.

Not trying to derail your post, but something I haven't found is a good electronic solution for tracking/charting pitches - location, type of pitch, sequence, etc. We started pitch charting with our travel team and I created a manual sheet to do this. I know iScore has this capability, but its too hard to keep track of the game and the pitch info, so in my mind it needs to be a separate tool. Something like you baseball stats app that is designed for the individual and is pretty simple would be great for this.

Im glad you like the app and realize its target. I admit its not a whole team app but for those who want to focus just on their own kids I think its the best out there. I use it for my own softball games just because I love stats haha.

and k/7 and bb/7 is something that will make it into the upcoming softball app so thank you for that!

Sep 17, 2009
I think you have a very good idea here (targeting crazy/loving parents with a relatively simple stat tracker) and see you do a football tracker too. I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to build other sports on top of your engine. Keep diversifying and I think your success will be exponential. Best of luck to you...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee