Fastpitch lesson for DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
My google searches haven’t netted great results, thus far...….......Please, give me some names if you have‘m. : )
I would speculate the gurus don't need to do anything to be visible in a google search, they are busy enough through word of mouth/referrals. I think it's pretty smart of you to ask here. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Aug 2, 2019
I too have often wondered what that means. I hear it a lot from people: "Our local coach is really good at getting pitchers started then he/she is out of their depth at a certain point."

Obviously I'm paraphrasing but I hear that a lot and I don't understand. How can a coach be good for just a little while? EVERYTHING done in the foundations of learning effects what can or cannot happen later in development. So are we talking about a coach that can teach girls to simply "Throw strikes", which is easy if you don't care about developing into an actual pitcher. Or, are we talking about a coach who's students play in a league with very weak hitting so the young pitchers appear better than they are?

I'm not suggesting every pitching coach needs a Rich Balswick resume (world tournaments, US National team pitcher, etc, etc) but, I'd really like to understand why some coaches are only good for a certain amount of time.

Bill
I'd say yeah, lots of people know the basics well enough to get a young athlete throwing strikes. I think I could probably get a girl that far along. But there are levels to the depths of knowledge out there.

Heck, our first pitching coach taught HE, and I thought she was great. She helped DD out a ton when she was in rec. Didn't pitch for her TB team for a year, then switched to another team and is starting to pitch again. Started taking lessons from another woman who teaches IR, and has herself pitched at a high level, and the level of knowledge and understanding she has about pitching is unbelievable. As a parent getting into softball, you have no idea how much you don't know. A person with a small amount of information can seem like an expert. When you actually find an expert, it absolutely blows your mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee