Fastpitch hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Thats a ball way out of the strike zone high, probably a rise ball. Her forward move is still the same as any other pitch that is in the strike zone, so she is trying like hell to stay on top the best she can. Its a tough ball to hit, I can guarantee that she wasn't trying to swing up on that ball.

Watch all the way to the end.

Precisely... good post

Oct 2, 2017
Precisely... good post

Part of the issue with that gif and the whole swing down thing, is that all you can see is the barrel moving through space on a slight upward tradjectory and the hands going slightly up to almost flat. So then you get the "See, they don't swing down, the barrel is on a upward plane starting below the ball etc." What some seem to not realize, is the her posture is not suited to hit a ball high in the zone like that on a consistent basis. Because a normal strike zone is not that high. That's not even taking into consideration the velocity of the pitch. It's not like she is changing her posture for different kinds of pitches every swing. Therefore, she has to fight to try and get on top, which is very difficult, probably impossible. That's why it doesn't look like she is swinging down, and every thing, the bat and hands tend to flatten out. Once you start your stride out, you cannot just stop and re-adjust LOL other wise you would just stay standing almost straight up and down.LOL

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Part of the issue with that gif and the whole swing down thing, is that all you can see is the barrel moving through space on a slight upward tradjectory and the hands going slightly up to almost flat. So then you get the "See, they don't swing down, the barrel is on a upward plane starting below the ball etc." What some seem to not realize, is the her posture is not suited to hit a ball high in the zone like that on a consistent basis. Because a normal strike zone is not that high. That's not even taking into consideration the velocity of the pitch. It's not like she is changing her posture for different kinds of pitches every swing. Therefore, she has to fight to try and get on top, which is very difficult, probably impossible. That's why it doesn't look like she is swinging down, and every thing, the bat and hands tend to flatten out. Once you start your stride out, you cannot just stop and re-adjust LOL other wise you would just stay standing almost straight up and down.LOL
TBH, I do believe hitters adjust posture for pitch location, I have posted many videos on this site showing that. However, the purpose of a rise ball is to fool the hitter... they don't anticipate the pitch crossing the plate at their eyes or shoulders. This hitter does a great job adjusting.. like you said she's fighting to stay on top, she's not trying to get under and swing up. If your hands start lower at launch than where the ball crosses the plate... you have no option but to go up and get it, or swing under it and strike out. Agreed posture does not match pitch location for this pitch... but they rarely do for a rise ball which makes it such an effective pitch

Oct 2, 2017
TBH, I do believe hitters adjust posture for pitch location, I have posted many videos on this site showing that. However, the purpose of a rise ball is to fool the hitter... they don't anticipate the pitch crossing the plate at their eyes or shoulders. This hitter does a great job adjusting.. like you said she's fighting to stay on top, she's not trying to get under and swing up. If your hands start lower at launch than where the ball crosses the plate... you have no option but to go up and get it, or swing under it and strike out. Agreed posture does not match pitch location for this pitch... but they rarely do for a rise ball which makes it such an effective pitch
I was just meaning is that you can adjust posture down, but not back up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12