Fast Pitch Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2019
My youngest daughter has really been getting into pitching. She has been pitching for over a year now and is going into her last year of 8U.
She pitches ok, had a .602 strike percentage last season. She has had some pitching lessons from High School pitchers. We practice every other day in the off season. Always catching for her. And I help assistant coach. But I'm no expert in pitching techniques. I admit that :)

My wife noticed that she doesn't square up her body towards the catcher when she is about to release the ball. She kind of stays sideways through the whole pitch. Is this a bad thing? Should I start working on having her rotate her body towards the catcher just before she releases the ball?

Jul 14, 2018
That's pretty amazing, she's off to a great start. She's got the right idea -- she should not be squaring up to the catcher. Get her to stay upright at release and you've got a beast-in-the-making! And a .602 strike percentage? Took my daughter two years of lessons to get there.

Jan 22, 2011
Great, it looks she is really enjoying pitching! Only suggestion is the landing foot should be at ~40 to 50 degrees, not 90 degrees.

Look at the stickies in the pitching forum, and Javasource's youtube stuff.

Hopefully Fastpitch foundations is released soon!

Aug 13, 2019
Great, it looks she is really enjoying pitching! Only suggestion is the landing foot should be at ~40 to 50 degrees, not 90 degrees.

Look at the stickies in the pitching forum, and Javasource's youtube stuff.

Hopefully Fastpitch foundations is released soon!

So she should step out a little more? Front leg needs to be more at a 45?

Jan 22, 2011
Hi Mike,

I'm far from a pitching expert, though I stayed at a Holiday Inn in Indiana once with a bunch of great pitching coaches.

She's doing a lot right for an 8 year old. Keep it fun and gradually fix a couple things.

Front foot needs to be more at a 45 degree angle to not put strain on knee.

Someone else mentioned getting her to stay back and not lean forward.

Oct 4, 2018
Read the stickies in the Pitching thread. You'll get all you need and more.

She looks great for this age. I wouldn't push too much -- keep things fun. Oh, and don't listen to your wife. She knows nothing about pitching. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802