FASA pitching Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
I realize FASA isn't very popular but I was wondering if anyone has personal knowledge of how they run things. Their rulebook seems to contradict itself.

3.4 Pitcher’s delivery:
1. Windmill or Slingshot style is acceptable.
2. Arm movement must be an underhand motion.
3. FASA has made the decision to allow pitchers to use the Start Back, Step Back, or
Traditional (start with both feet touching the rubber).
4. Pitcher may use backward movement of the pitching arm at the start of delivery;
however, a backward step is not permitted.
5. If the underhanded arm movement is more

Aug 21, 2008
MOST rule books will say "We use the Governing body's rule book: ASA with the following exceptions..... then they list their exceptions. The ISC (men's fastpitch) for example, uses ASA rules with certain exceptions like the double bag at 1st base. The ISC has refused the double bag for 20 years and that won't change soon. So, while that may be an ASA rule, this other organization has it as an exception. That is just one example. Other examples are approved bat lists, ball core/compression, ball brand, etc. ISC also removed the word "amateur" from their rule book since they know a huge portion of the players are being paid illegally anyway, they disposed of the hypocrisy. ASA should do the same, the Olympians are not amateurs!

Jun 19, 2016
I found out from the director they allow the step back. It ses like Triple Crown...which uses NCCA is the only hold out. I wish they would all get on the same page.

Aug 21, 2008
I found out from the director they allow the step back. It ses like Triple Crown...which uses NCCA is the only hold out. I wish they would all get on the same page.

NCAA and PGF are only hold outs I think.

Why only allowing at step back? Is doing a "start back" an advantage to the pitcher? The answer is no, absolutely not. 9 of 10 pitchers will prefer the step back to the start back. But the start back is 10000x more comfortable than the previous 2 feet on the rubber crap.

Jun 19, 2016
They allow a step back too. I just would prefer to have one standard. Two are for a 12U pitcher to have to keep changing.

Aug 21, 2008
The STEP back provides more momentum and more power. NO question. But you can only do it in certain places not ALL places.

The START back is accepted at all parks in all organizations. It's easier to learn this way and keep it going, vs. switching back and forth between start/step backs.

Go with the start back.

Jan 28, 2017
The STEP back provides more momentum and more power. NO question. But you can only do it in certain places not ALL places.

The START back is accepted at all parks in all organizations. It's easier to learn this way and keep it going, vs. switching back and forth between start/step backs.

Go with the start back.

Florida High Schools are allowing the start back now.They didn’t last season. No clue how to transition to it.Thoughts

Apr 20, 2015
For our pitchers there was really no transition. All start back means is that your feet can be a comfortable width apart instead of that narrow rubber. It doesn't change anything other than comfort really.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
For our pitchers there was really no transition. All start back means is that your feet can be a comfortable width apart instead of that narrow rubber. It doesn't change anything other than comfort really.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sadly, this isn't correct. Or at least I'm not reading it correctly. Either is possible. I'm not sure what you mean about "comfortable width apart". The actual difference is not having to start and keep both feet in contact with the rubber. One foot can start 1 inch, 3 inches, or 2 FEET behind the rubber with the other foot on the rubber. The back foot doesn't have to be in touch with the rubber at all, but the pitcher cannot extend or increase the distance of the back foot. Once it's planted behind the rubber, it has to stay there.

This is an obvious huge advantage compared to the rules of yesteryear where both feet had to stay in touch with the rubber. Now only 1 foot has to touch.

The "step back" provides the ability to gain more momentum than the "start back" does but, either rule is 100x better than needing to keep 2 feet on the rubber.

If Tango is right, that Florida only now has approved this, they must've been one of the last HS federations to not allow 1 foot on the rubber. Most high schools have allowed this for some time now, even though it's been disallowed in summer or travel ball.

It's beyond insanity that they can't get actual pitchers to come up with one single uniformed rule, instead of some old men sitting in a room trying to make themselves relevant in a sport played by girls. What little is left of men's fastpitch on Earth pretty much has a uniformed rule now. Rulebooks might say different things but nobody cares and people just show up to play regardless of the "rules".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101