Fantastic Pop Time Fanatics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ha... Not in my experience. Agree with the exaggerated!
There is some irony in rolling hard comments. Just some fun chat...

Yes everybody needs to be able to hit. From that we can conclude that there will be more runners on base. Which means catchers pop times are more important to throw those runners out!
Let me say "back-pics" right now....
Plus pass balls advance runners.
Included scoring on pass balls.
Hmmm trained catcher sounds real good now. ;)

Generally have noticed teams carry more catchers than they do any infield position except pitcher. Many colleges will carry four minimum catchers on the roster at any given time.
Some just for bullpen.
Some extra pitchers for bp.

I think it's a very general statement to say if you're the best hitter on the roster they will find a place for you on the field. Not always. Really it is, the best hitter will find a place in the lineup.

Catching is considered a technical position. How often do we hear ss & 2nd referred to as middle infielders. And 3rd and 1st baseman as corners?!

Does that happen to give more relevance to their abilities to play another position?
AKA more opportunity to be out on the field.
Just saying....a catcher who's trained at catching can also play somewhere's else!

Jun 8, 2016
Catching is considered a technical position. How often do we hear ss & 2nd referred to as middle infielders. And 3rd and 1st baseman as corners?!

Does that happen to give more relevance to their abilities to play another position?
AKA more opportunity to be out on the field.
Just saying....a catcher who's trained at catching can also play somewhere's else!
These arguments pop up (pun intended )from time to time. IMO the amount of time you need to invest to turn a kid into a catcher is probably the largest other than pitcher. That said I've yet to hear of HL catcher moving to SS in college softball or pro baseball. I do know of players who have moved from SS to catcher in pro baseball because of the extra development time they have due to MiLB. There are certain things you cannot teach...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
These arguments pop up (pun intended )from time to time. IMO the amount of time you need to invest to turn a kid into a catcher is probably the largest other than pitcher. That said I've yet to hear of HL catcher moving to SS in college softball or pro baseball. I do know of players who have moved from SS to catcher in pro baseball because of the extra development time they have due to MiLB. There are certain things you cannot teach...
Agree...possibly dont see that often HL catchers moving to ss in HL college or pro....because they are 'trained at catching' and need them behind the plate :)

Do see it in tb from time to time. Usually corners for catchers as secondary position?!
Go Glove Work!

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Agree...possibly dont see that often HL catchers moving to ss in HL college or pro....because they are 'trained at catching' and need them behind the plate :)

Do see it in tb from time to time. Usually corners for catchers as secondary position?!
Go Glove Work!
Having multiple catchers on a travel team does lend to getting time at other positions. Which is valuable for the player. DD played C,SS and 3B for her travel team.

Jun 8, 2016
Maybe..although a backup catcher is probably less valuable than a starting SS. Honest question, with some work do you think you could have been a good college SS?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Think it depends on what type of pitchers a team has too. If there is a lot of drop balls and CUs probably need better trained catcher. Still think you could train a athlete to be a serviceable catcher pretty quickly. I would bet that most College level players have caught and/or pitched at some point in their path. I could see a college team look for catchers asking if the 3rd baseman (that can rake) has ever caught and consider converting her. But never asking if that player if she ever pitched. Training an athlete to be a serviceable pitcher- not going to happen very quickly.

Side note:

David Fletcher is the LA Angels (3rd in-line) emergency catcher. He is a pretty good at SS, 3rd, 2nd, and can play OF too. He played all those positions, just this year. Kinda wanted to see him catch but the emergency never came up.

2019 Games by Position: 2B (42) 3B (90) SS (39) LF (21) RF (2)

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Think it depends on what type of pitchers a team has too. If there is a lot of drop balls and CUs probably need better trained catcher. Still think you could train a athlete to be a serviceable catcher pretty quickly. I would bet that most College level players have caught and/or pitched at some point in their path. I could see a college team look for catchers asking if the 3rd baseman (that can rake) has ever caught and consider converting her. But never asking if that player if she ever pitched. Training an athlete to be a serviceable pitcher- not going to happen very quickly.

Side note:

David Fletcher is the LA Angels (3rd in-line) emergency catcher. He is a pretty good at SS, 3rd, 2nd, and can play OF too. He played all those positions, just this year. Kinda wanted to see him catch but the emergency never came up.

2019 Games by Position: 2B (42) 3B (90) SS (39) LF (21) RF (2)
There is more to catching than being able to keep drop balls and change ups in the dirt in front you.

I would bet that far more kids pitched in 10U and 12U than caught. If you could throw strikes you pitched, especially in 10U. By 14U most kids have established a primary and secondary position. Most are not catchers.

Your kid that “can rake” will most likely be hitting for the pitcher, not replacing a good defensive catcher.

Jun 8, 2016
Hopefully a starter in there position is better then any back-up...
You missed my point.
Hmmm asking me if i could play another position good.
I will answer that question with a question

If you had a catcher who made the College World Series first team. What position would you want them to play?
My questions were related to my statement regarding that some things cannot be taught but if
you don't want to answer that is fine.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You missed my point.

My questions were related to my statement regarding that some things cannot be taught but if
you don't want to answer that is fine.
What are you saying cant be taught?
Lol you didnt answer the question to your question lol.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812