Fall Games- This is not a good look

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I know of a girl who committed to OU and then was asked by OU to quit her current travel team and join Batbuster Stith's team. The girl was from NorCal. This sort of stuff seems to happen a lot.
Yeah, it's not that I don't like that system of playing where the coach asks you to play. Most people have a problem with Marissa Young telling a girl to play for her husband's organization, which puts more money in their pockets.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I know of a girl who committed to OU and then was asked by OU to quit her current travel team and join Batbuster Stith's team. The girl was from NorCal. This sort of stuff seems to happen a lot.
Just say NO. It's not that hard. If you are good enough to get recruited by OU, I am sure you have other opportunities. Or of course you could negotiate a 7 figure NIL deal to help compensate for your travel expenses.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
They have to post something, cannot just ignore the game, but I think the wording ("Came out strong" and "Big Illinois win") is probably the issue. Duke could have come out weak and still run-ruled the team :ROFLMAO:
Agreed. And that's what I mean by "promote." You really need to post something.

I think Illinois' is fairly innocuous. Duke's, with the flex emoji, makes it seem like they really accomplished some big thing.

Also, keep in mind, this is likely being posted by some college kid who isn't thinking too hard about the quality of competition.

Dec 11, 2010
Also, keep in mind, this is likely being posted by some college kid who isn't thinking too hard about the quality of competition.
I don’t think it would be a student.

Usually the team site shows all of the softball staff- looks like Sidearm Sports is revamping that and I’m not finding it.

A p5 softball team usually has a sports communication director etc in addition to the director of softball operations. B10 does a generally poor job of this compared to the higher profile p5’s.

The communication director was an overlooked position in the past. It has become much more important due to NIL. The amount and the quality of coverage by the team matters in dollars and cents for players now. Quality promotion of players translates into bucks and we are starting to see the results of that.

I’m going to say this clearly- a softball director of communication who isn’t doing his job is failing these players.

As absolutely batsnot crazy as it sounds, the quality of team social media coverage has become important. What a world we live in.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don’t think it would be a student.

Usually the team site shows all of the softball staff- looks like Sidearm Sports is revamping that and I’m not finding it.

A p5 softball team usually has a sports communication director etc in addition to the director of softball operations. B10 does a generally poor job of this compared to the higher profile p5’s.

The communication director was an overlooked position in the past. It has become much more important due to NIL. The amount and the quality of coverage by the team matters in dollars and cents for players now. Quality promotion of players translates into bucks and we are starting to see the results of that.

I’m going to say this clearly- a softball director of communication who isn’t doing his job is failing these players.

As absolutely batsnot crazy as it sounds, the quality of team social media coverage has become important. What a world we live in.

You could be right. I don't pretend to know what those jobs entail. Like you said, this coverage has become important, so it's likely not a one-person job anymore. I still would not be surprised if the person doing the actual tweeting is a student/intern working under a paid staff member. I think it probably depends on how important they feel the tweets are.

Completely off-topic, but I selfishly despise Sidearm Sports websites because it makes my job (not the AD/coaching job) a lot harder. Without getting too into it, I do work with college football data, and a few years ago when most schools shifted to Sidearm websites, the box score/PBP became must more difficult to work with.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Advertising these scores is akin to a competitive team bragging about beating up a Rec team during a weekday league game. There is no official score to advertise because there is no game. It's a scrimmage with umpires. I've watched two of these "games" in the last two days. Although the scores of both was lopsided, both teams clearly benefited. The higher-level team was able to empty its bench and bullpen. The lower-level teams executed well overall and had some good moments against better talent. Walking away, nobody but the coaches care about the scorebook.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Oregon beat Oregon Tech 30-2 today. Don’t see how that benefits either team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I can see- Usually it’s just a function of who is geographically close and isn’t a conference rival or a potential NCAA regional opponent.

I don’t think they are looking for competition. I also think they want to avoid any travel expense.

Jul 19, 2021
I understand the HC wanting the player to face the best competition to prep them for college, but to have them line your husband's pocket is where I take issue. And honestly, I'm surprised Duke allows it.
Wait, do you think those players directed to be on the Top LD team actually pay dues?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28