Fall drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
I had my daughter do this drill which I called the fall drill, about a week ago. I found this video after showing her the drill I thought I invented. Lmao. After a lot of your critique I realized I needed to change her reach and imbalance. She had a tendency to reach and sit back on her back leg which created imbalance. After going through the drill she ended up hitting eight out of nine on Sunday. I don’t do most of Antonelli stuff but this caught my eye.
Also, I didn’t have her start the way he does. I did it from a regular batting stance. Lift the left leg and let the body naturally move/fall forward without a reach. Seemed to set her up much better.
Your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I had my daughter do this drill which I called the fall drill, about a week ago. I found this video after showing her the drill I thought I invented. Lmao. After a lot of your critique I realized I needed to change her reach and imbalance. She had a tendency to reach and sit back on her back leg which created imbalance. After going through the drill she ended up hitting eight out of nine on Sunday. I don’t do most of Antonelli stuff but this caught my eye.
Also, I didn’t have her start the way he does. I did it from a regular batting stance. Lift the left leg and let the body naturally move/fall forward without a reach. Seemed to set her up much better.
Your thoughts.

I've used this along with other similar drills..it didn't help my DD a lick 😂 All it ended up doing for her
was to cause her to move out (still improperly) much too late e.g. she started her move out after trying to read
the pitch location. Not sure why but that was the result...yay for me. Glad it worked for you though...my kid is a mutant it appears (or more likely, her instructor is an idiot).

Nov 8, 2018
I've used this along with other similar drills..it didn't help my DD a lick All it ended up doing for her
was to cause her to move out (still improperly) much too late e.g. she started her move out after trying to read
the pitch location. Not sure why but that was the result...yay for me. Glad it worked for you though...my kid is a mutant it appears (or more likely, her instructor is an idiot).

LMAO. I feel the same way often. Especially with pitching. She has taken to hitting instruction much better. Recently! Who knows. I think it’s a secret plot by all dd’s to drive us fathers crazy.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I try the cue: propel yourself forward, by screwing your back foot into the ground.
(the "screwing" feel is important, just pushing forward with the back foot is not allowed. The Batter should feel outward pressure at the outside of the rear foot.)

Done properly, there is no reach.
Once the front foot is lifted, the FBC should get your midline moving (falling) forward.

Nov 8, 2018
I try the cue: propel yourself forward, by screwing your back foot into the ground.
(the "screwing" feel is important, just pushing forward with the back foot is not allowed. The Batter should feel outward pressure at the outside of the rear foot.)

Done properly, there is no reach.
Once the front foot is lifted, the FBC should get your midline moving (falling) forward.

So instead of just lifting you’re saying to lift and push with the rear leg. Correct?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
So instead of just lifting you’re saying to lift and push with the rear leg. Correct?

it's not a "push".
more like clockwise pressure (looking down, RH batter).
To achieve this, it really takes a correct load to be applied and maintained in the hip joint,
and this translates to pressure felt at the outside of the back foot at the ground.
Orienting your rear toes 45 degrees toward the pitcher (as opposed to perpendicular to the plate, or toes pointing slightly rearwards...) can help to feel this mechanic.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
and this translates to pressure felt at the outside of the back foot at the ground.
I try for the inside of the rear foot pressure And the inside of the rear thigh.
fetch

How to do this:
- Setup with as much Pigeon-toe as you can handle
- Really get into the ground with inside of the back foot along the padding of the big toe. Really feel the inward pressure
- Now, use your low back, your mid back and most importantly your scap to resist any inward pressure. Feel like your hip is pulling around.
- Now Drive forward while trying to never give up the resistance on the back side.
- You must not slide the hips or shift the weight forward. You want to feel as if your weight is staying stacked over the back side during the stride.

Nov 8, 2018
This seems a little too advanced for me and my dd. I’ll have to stick with what is working for now. I teach this and she may go back to what she was doing.

Aug 20, 2017
You can teach a lot of things within this drill. Controlled tempo, stretching hands (scap load), and good posture. I use this drill often in my progression. Feet together stride and hit is first, then this in my sequence. Teach them to control the stride with the back leg while advancing the belly button forward with good stretch. I also use the drill to feel some hip coil during the move out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802