Fake Stat published in a reputable website

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 7, 2018
Saw an incredible good stat for a 12U player published in a reputable website's story. Then, heard the stat was submitted by her Dad, the head coach of the team. There's a GameChanger stat for the team and heard the stat there is very different then it was submitted. Was anyone caught on this kind of cheating before? or it's really doesn't matter? you can publish whatever you want?
just curious.

Nov 29, 2009
Happens in rec. It happens in travel. It happens in HS. There are even some colleges who do it. People, usually parents, get outed for doing it on a regular basis. Nothing happens. Most of the outed "victims" claim their "stats" are the right ones.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Saw an incredible good stat for a 12U player published in a reputable website's story. Then, heard the stat was submitted by her Dad, the head coach of the team. There's a GameChanger stat for the team and heard the stat there is very different then it was submitted. Was anyone caught on this kind of cheating before? or it's really doesn't matter? you can publish whatever you want?
just curious.

Everyone knows and has a laugh at daddy for inflating his little cupcakes stats.

But otherwise it doesn't matter in any way. No one cares in any meaningful way.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
just curious.
I’m sorry. Did you say a reputable website did a story on a 12u player and depended on her dad to submit stats?

My definition of a reputable website and yours must be different.

Jun 12, 2015
You can't be sure Game Changer is right either. Every team DD's been on, it's been run by a volunteer parent.

Jul 29, 2016
When my daughter joined a new team, she had just come out of a serious batting slump. The assistant coach asked me "what's her average," and I said "Honestly, she's batting something like .240, but her on base percentage is above .400."

The coach thanked me for being honest. He told me most parents say their daughter hits above .500. This is a really good team, but c'mon.

They actually watched her hit and catch and offered her a spot.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I would say this: it is likely that many stats below serious college softball are inflated. I say that because as we have seen on this site many of those keeping score are not correctly capturing FC, E, or SB vs. Wild Pitch or Passed Ball, SAC and so on.

The examples abound. Three ABs (FC, E5, base hit). Depending on the person keeping score the player went 1/3, 2/3, 3/3. There is a significant difference between .333 and 1.000.

Even using Gamechanger it isn't hard to see how even the best intentioned, unbiased scorekeeper might not be doing it right and over a period of many games, stats become greatly inflated.

Just my 2 cents.

Jun 12, 2015
Even using Gamechanger it isn't hard to see how even the best intentioned, unbiased scorekeeper might not be doing it right and over a period of many games, stats become greatly inflated.

Just my 2 cents.

I go back through a lot of our games to make highlights. I use the play by play online to find the good plays and hits. No matter who is score keeping (including myself), when I go back with the benefit of video, I always find mistakes. I'm 100% sure I don't do it on purpose, and 99% sure our other score keepers haven't either. I think in real time, you miss one thing because your younger kid needs money for the snack bar and you just do your best to catch up.

Nov 25, 2016
I had an experience with this during this past season. My DD was in a battle to bat on Sundays vs the score keepers DD. Every hit she had was a hit and if my DD had anything that was even close to questionable was called an error. The funniest thing of all this is the score keepers DD didn't bat on most Sundays above mine. And the score keepers daughter finished the season (65 games), with ZERO Reach on Error!!! My DD had 20, the next lowest on the team was 8. I confronted the HC and he said he uses the eye test more so than stats to figure out the batting order.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
just curious.

I see this type of stuff in the local newspapers all the time. You could see a team listed as having 2 or 3 hits in the home team paper, but the away team paper credits the pitcher with a "no-hitter". Of course they are typically getting their information from the team scorekeepers...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse