Facemasks for ASA tournament play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
sarah was the 2006 ncaa div 1 batting champion and played for UT. she also played for team USA. she now works for emask. at least i assume she works for emask because she is the one who always contacts me from them.

Imagine that, a company rep casually mentioning something that would help increase her business and income.:rolleyes:

Guess she wouldn't deal well with Jim Easton ;)

Jul 17, 2008
in the dugout
my dd said she would quit playing if she had to wear one...

Yeah, we said the same thing about batting helmets. :) Just slap on some lipstick and deal with it.

sorry but there is no way i'm slapping on any lipstick :p... oh, you're talking about my dd!!! to say my dd is hard headed is to say it gets a little warm in phoenix.

Imagine that, a company rep casually mentioning something that would help increase her business and income.

what? i've never seen that;) i will say she is very nice and you can't argue with her knowledge but she is also a very persistant rep.

i think the thing that will drive any kind of requirement on this particular equipment, or any equipment for that matter, is liabilty. if the asa, nsa or any other entity feels there is a possibility of liable action being taken against them, if it hasn't already happened, could lead to them making the masks a requirement. you can talk about personal responsibility all you want but you know as well as i do that it doesn't work that way. some girl gets her head taken off at third and even though all the girls on the team was wearing a mask except her, her parents will sue saying it should have been a "requirement."

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
i think the thing that will drive any kind of requirement on this particular equipment, or any equipment for that matter, is liabilty. if the asa, nsa or any other entity feels there is a possibility of liable action being taken against them, if it hasn't already happened, could lead to them making the masks a requirement. you can talk about personal responsibility all you want but you know as well as i do that it doesn't work that way. some girl gets her head taken off at third and even though all the girls on the team was wearing a mask except her, her parents will sue saying it should have been a "requirement."

I don't disagree with that. It isn't right and completely flies in the face of anyone who believes our constitution should actually be considered as a legitimate document.

OTOH, maybe parents should be vetted prior to allowing their children to participate in any activity where injury is possible, like waking up and getting out of bed. :D

Jun 16, 2008
"Oh, Lil' Susie won't wear the mask I bought for her. That damned ASA! Why can't they make my daughter wear this mask?" I think the better question is, if you do not have the courage or sense to do what you believe to be right for your daughter on the softball field, what happens when she needs a mom or dad to help with more serious issues in her young life?

Wow, I guess I shouldn't have asked. I'll try to do better. I thought I was OK until I read your reply.

Jul 28, 2008
I have heard nothing to substantiate ASA requiring masks while on defense. None of the masks have any sort of OK by an approved testing agency. Until then, ASA will not mandate their use. One could also legitimately argue that they shouldn't be used on the playing field until then. If hit hard by a linedrive, can the mask break? If so, do plastic pieces fly off into their eyes, or sharp edges cut their face? All this and much more needs to be thoroughly tested before NOCSAE puts a stamp of approval on any item to be deemed safe.

With that said, as a coach, I required all my infielders to wear one last year. No mask, no infield playing time. This year, I have decided to coach a 10U team. My new requirement is that ALL defensive positions, besides catcher, wear a mask. Whether it's the D-mask or Gameface. When my oldest DD got her first Gameface, I called the factory up to try and see what sort of testing had been done on the masks. I was told that no approved testing had been performed on the mask.

Jun 16, 2008
face masks

My 18U DD is a catcher. She wears all sorts of protection behind the plate and rightfully so. But she would be laughed off the field if she wore a mask to play 1st or 3rd. Doesn't make a lot of sense. The DD shrugs and says that her reflexes better be good enough by now to catch the ball or get out of the way.

I don't think regulation is going to be needed. I think more parents are going to be buying these masks for the younger players (especially when their DD sees everyone else's DD wearing them... they'll want one too!:rolleyes:). Then they will grow up with them and will become a fixture in fastpitch.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Wow, I guess I shouldn't have asked. I'll try to do better. I thought I was OK until I read your reply.

Sorry, you hit a sore point with me that isn't limited to softball or even parents.

In the 60's, we all told the government (and any other organization) to get out of our lives, that we can be responsible adults and decide what is best for ourselves without interference. Apparently, many of my, and subsequent, generations were wrong. You cannot pick up a paper or listen/read the news without someone, somewhere demanding one organization or another mandate something or be responsible for protecting us and our children from our own ineptness and stupidity.

When Dean Wormer said, "Drunk, fat and stupid is no way to go through life", apparently he was talking to more people than just Flounder. (this is a general statement, not directed toward anyone in particular).

See? You did it too me again!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
MTR, you are so right. Everyone looks to the government to fix everything for them.

If you feel your daughter needs a mask, or better yet if she feels she needs one, then get one. Don't wait for ASA to make you. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

I can see pitchers and 3B wearing them if they're concerned. Maybe 1B if she's really aggressive fielding the bunt. But I think it's a bit excessive for the other positions, personally. To me it's equivalent to buying flood insurance when you don't live anywhere near the water. There's a remote chance you might need it, but it's nothing you'd bet on.

What I wonder is where it stops. Will every player be wearing chest protectors and shinguards too? Sounds ridiculous, but it's a logical next step. Maybe the official ball should be changed to a Nerf ball to make sure nobody gets hurt.

There is inherent danger in all sports. You will never take it out completely no matter how many rules you make. Personal responsibility is the key.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
"Drunk, fat and stupid is no way to go through life."

Sir, I'll have you know I am not drunk. :D

Me, neither.

Well, except maybe Friday nights at happy hour(s), Saturday at the football game, Sunday watching the football games, Monday at Monday Night Football, Tuesday after the PTA meeting, Wednesday after a rought staff meeting at work.

See, I'm not a drunk. I only drink under pressure and for pleasure ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom