Facemasks for ASA tournament play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
There is a rumor going around that ASA is going to require mandatory facemasks in championship tournament play for pitchers, first basemen and third basemen. Anyone heard anything about this -- anything official?

Jul 20, 2008
I'm all for it. There is a youtube video of a ball hit back to the pitcher off her head. The first baseman comes in to make the catch on the rebound. The pitcher dropped like a ton of bricks.

My DD started wearing the Game Face when she pitches. Some of the other girls laughed at first. We showed them the video and now our third baseman wears one.

It's just like the complaints about the facemask on batting helmets. Last weekend, I saw batters take two fouls off the mask. No injury with the mask. Could have been a lot worse with out it.

Jun 16, 2008
I also think it's a great idea. I can't get my DD to wear one otherwise. I've tried the game face and then I bought the dmask. She didn't like either one. Rip-It just came out with one. It looks like their batting helmet mask so it appears to provide a good field of vision.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't think there is anything to that rumor.

I personally wear the Gameface and love it. I have a few Defender masks that I sell to my students.

So, I support it, but with all the talk about masks, I think there would have been an announcement.

Jul 17, 2008
in the dugout
sarah fekete actually told me last winter that asa was going to start requiring masks on 16u and under pitchers and corners. i've heard the rumor but nothing that substantiates it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have no idea who Sarah Fekete is, but ASA doesn't just "require" equipment.

It would have to be proposed as a rule change which must be submitted by 9/24/08. It will then need to make it through multiple committees, then the Rules Committee and then passed by the General Council.

Should such a ridiculous change make it that far, there would need to be a standard set, tested, gain NOCSAE approval, make it through a probationary year and if successful, then a rule could be enacted.

Jul 17, 2008
in the dugout

sarah was the 2006 ncaa div 1 batting champion and played for UT. she also played for team USA. she now works for emask. at least i assume she works for emask because she is the one who always contacts me from them. nice young lady, i always enjoy discussing softball with her when she calls. don't have any idea where she got her info from, didn't really care. just passing along what she said.

my dd said she would quit playing if she had to wear one...

Jun 16, 2008

It would have to be proposed as a rule change which must be submitted by 9/24/08. It will then need to make it through multiple committees, then the Rules Committee and then passed by the General Council.

Should such a ridiculous change make it that far, there would need to be a standard set, tested, gain NOCSAE approval, make it through a probationary year and if successful, then a rule could be enacted.

I posted above that I think it's a good idea. That was my initial reaction as a parent and a coach. Is your objection to the legislation of it, the implementation of it or the concept in general? I know that anyone can choose to wear one at any time, I'm just curious to hear your views.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
my dd said she would quit playing if she had to wear one...

Yeah, we said the same thing about batting helmets. :) Just slap on some lipstick and deal with it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I posted above that I think it's a good idea. That was my initial reaction as a parent and a coach. Is your objection to the legislation of it, the implementation of it or the concept in general? I know that anyone can choose to wear one at any time, I'm just curious to hear your views.

I have the same feeling about this as I did the face masks. The parents and coaches whined and moaned about them not being mandated just as you have seen in a couple of the posts on this short thread.

If the parents and coaches think wearing this equipment is so damn important why do they need some organization to mandate the items? To these parents I would like to ask, who is the responsible adult in your household? Who makes the decisions, writes the checks and signs the roster? It certainly isn't the child, so why allow her this decision which you have made apparent you believe is the wrong one?

"Oh, Lil' Susie won't wear the mask I bought for her. That damned ASA! Why can't they make my daughter wear this mask?" I think the better question is, if you do not have the courage or sense to do what you believe to be right for your daughter on the softball field, what happens when she needs a mom or dad to help with more serious issues in her young life?

I have no problem with a player of any gender or age wearing whatever equipment they feel necessary to protect themselves. I'm actually surprised more youth players are not wearing a lacrosse-type of helmet/mask. They are lightweight, protects the entire head and will absorb a lot of the shock.

My problem is with people expecting others to be responsible for something they refuse to be.

BTW, please don't bring up seat belts, batting helmets, catcher masks, chest protectors, etc. Not even in the same ballpark as this discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28