Eyesight and hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Odd circumstance:

My 12 year has 20/13 vision...no issues at all. Very rarely makes contact.

My 10 year old is right handed ...her right eye is 20/40, her left eye is 20/100.
She hits well and bunts extremely well. Appears to be near - sighted.

I know that there is more than eyesight with this....but is it strange that my DD with the better eyesight doesn't make contact much....

Any thoughts?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that the 10 YO has compensated for her eye site and is actually getting a better look at the ball, but that is just a wild guess. Doesn't she wear glasses?

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
eyesight

I think that the 10 YO has compensated for her eye site and is actually getting a better look at the ball, but that is just a wild guess. Doesn't she wear glasses?

no, no glasses...just found out at a routine physical...need to bring her to an eye doctor soon...
but she could not read the chart at all.

Seems to read fine...no school issues. plays Travel soccer, pitches, bats ....plays first and catcher very well..

Never would have known.

Will get videos of both swinging soon....

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Maybe her lack of distance vision causes her to focus more on seeing the ball. Just a guess on my part. A lot of hitters give up on the ball way too soon, making it tougher to hit.

If you're fanatical enough to pay the price (it's not cheap), there is a great training program called VizualEdge that can help hitters learn to track the ball (convergent vision), pick up objects more quickly, and generally develop their vision. It sure looks to have made a difference for our team this year.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
eyesight

Not fanatical...yet!

She hits pretty well. LL9

Get a real vision test first.....

Then we may start with simpler less expensive options like numbering the balls ...et...

We have 5 games starting Thursday so we are just getting through the next week! Norwich CT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28