Extra year for college players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Whats the difference its not a discussion. Our Dr's office sends letters in the mail with test results.
We could never get directly through to our Coach or Dr. and have to leave messages. We dont take it personally its business.
Pretty crappy doctor if you have abnormal test results that should be discussed. As an NP I always follow up abnormal results with a call or an email with a request to call me back if unavailable. I want to be able to answer any questions and provide recommendations.

It‘s a matter of preference when it comes down to it but I think any respectable coach would call and speak to the player. It’s not that difficult to say, “Sorry I missed you but please give me a call back between x and x times when I’ll be in my office.“ Coaches always want the athlete to call and let them know if they’ve committed elsewhere, right?

We can just agree to disagree.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Situation dictates. Agree.
Messages relay business.
This is not a situation where a coach sits in their office all day for a player to return a call.
If the player got such a message and needed to call back to get the info they would also be leaving a message. Lets move past phone tag.

Not a fan of phone tag. I reach out and leave the message. If the message is not returned, I move on. If necessary I request a time to speak, but I don't worry about it if we cannot come to a mutual decision. I typically work 10 hour days and at least 7 or 8 hours are in meetings and/or conference calls. So I know how difficult it can be to coordinate times. Some of my associates get upset with me because they will drop by unannounced and complain because I'm not available when they show up. If they call or email me in advance and request a specific time, I do everything I can to make it work.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Can understand why people dont want to be treated like they are just a number.
That human connection being important. However it just isnt always a component on how Coaches are able to apply their time.
The abundance of emails, calls, business meetings, updates on college campus, colleges not knowing or having a plan for the coaches, the list goes on.
Every coach is doing far more work in a tremendous effort to hopefully keep programs going.

This is about individual journeys.
However it is also about a whole lot more!

Have always said and continue to say
*The effort players put into contacting colleges is the single most important factor in recruitment!
Players reaching out!

May 27, 2013
I get that RAD but this was obviously a player who had a relationship with this particular Coach as they were committed, so I would have hoped there would have been at least a brief conversation.

Just a quick, off topic question - are you and Bullseye friends IRL? 🙂

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Can understand why people dont want to be treated like they are just a number.
That human connection being important. However it just isnt always a component on how Coaches are able to apply their time.
The abundance of emails, calls, business meetings, updates on college campus, colleges not knowing or having a plan for the coaches, the list goes on.
Every coach is doing far more work in a tremendous effort to hopefully keep programs going.

This is about individual journeys.
However it is also about a whole lot more!

Have always said and continue to say
*The effort players put into contacting colleges is the single most important factor in recruitment!
Players reaching out!

I certainly get that it isn't practical for coaches to personally speak with every interested recruit. Nor should they. But the example we are discussing is a recruit that was offered a scholarship and then had that scholarship removed. That is more then the typical recruit call. In my opinion that situation could have been handled differently.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I get that RAD but this was obviously a player who had a relationship with this particular Coach as they were committed, so I would have hoped there would have been at least a brief conversation.

Just a quick, off topic question - are you and Bullseye friends IRL? 🙂
There are a few on the website have met previously in person.
Some who coach some parents.
And several others chit chat a little on pm's.
Just like you, sometimes agree and sometimes not.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I was commenting about college coach/player interactions because it is important.
Could have also mentioned other stories of hard situations.
From both coaches side and players.
Really its more important to find solutions and try to take the conversation that way.
*when i originally commented wrote i didnt read the part where someone got a voicemail.
Can sympathize both to the coaches and players.

Last edited:

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
Missed the part where someone got a voice mail.
But imo its not cowardly.
1. Its a person actually taking time to call!
2. Its another person not answering the call.
Timing or?
3. Could have easily been an email~
Which is common practice when new coaches take over position and/or changes are being made.

LOL...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Thats fine osagedr if you arent understanding other perspectives.
Glad to have brought them up just the same!

Theres are great chance none of us know the entire story with that recruit.
Nor the efforts of the coach.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28