Extra year for college players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The NCAA is being very generous with waivers. The 12 hour requirement you mention appears to not be an issue at the D3 level.
For undergrad D3, 12 hrs is a requirement(at least at DD's school) to be a full time student in order to be able to play. DD had 2 teammates that were taking 12 hours in the fall, each failed a class thus bringing them down to 9 hrs. They could not play in the spring season due to not being a full time student. The coach now requires min 15 hours per semester and certain number of hours of study hall in the locker room.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
an important aspect of this that no one is mentioning: how does coach allocate his/her 12 scholarships to returning 5th/6th year players?

Incoming 2020 and 2021 freshman have already either verbally, or NLI with a specific scholarship agreement in-place.
Do the players that opt to return for their 5th and/or 6th years retain their current "deal"?
How does that balance-out, exactly?

Aug 25, 2019
This whole thing is nonsense. Every kid on every team from first-year middle school to college seniors have been effected by this. Their are no extra seasons in high school. It stinks for everyone, but as long as college scholarships are being honored, take your lumps and move on.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
an important aspect of this that no one is mentioning: how does coach allocate his/her 12 scholarships to returning 5th/6th year players?

Incoming 2020 and 2021 freshman have already either verbally, or NLI with a specific scholarship agreement in-place.
Do the players that opt to return for their 5th and/or 6th years retain their current "deal"?
How does that balance-out, exactly?

The first part of your statement/question is what frustrates me most with the NCAA's decision to grant extra eligibility. They say, Spring 2020 and (so far) Fall/Winter of 2020 doesn't count against athletes, but give zero insight on how schools are supposed to provide funding for that ruling, especially given all the financial losses the majority of schools are taking on. In my mind...they want to look like the good guy, (giving "free" eligibility) and if the schools/conferences decide not to honor that "gift", then they look like the bad guy...

Sorry...stepping off my soapbox now.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I would love to see this happen, but I'm not confident it will. If it does, we will just be paying for it in other ways.
Another out of the box example :)
Gasoline here went down about $1.00 per gallon...

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Another out of the box example :)
Gasoline here went down about $1.00 per gallon...

We dropped approximately $.80 per gallon between November 2019 and May 2020. However, prices have increased approximately $.40 since then. I don't want to turn this into another political thread, but I would expect gas prices to increase steadily throughout 2021. Working in the transportation industry, I monitor diesel prices very closely... It is my departments 2nd largest expense following labor.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We dropped approximately $.80 per gallon between November 2019 and May 2020. However, prices have increased approximately $.40 since then. I don't want to turn this into another political thread, but I would expect gas prices to increase steadily throughout 2021. Working in the transportation industry, I monitor diesel prices very closely... It is my departments 2nd largest expense following labor.
Please no political! It was just an example :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802