'Extra' infielder for certain batters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
What are the rules concerning an outfielder moving into the infield or even covering a base? Questioning whether a 'shift' is allowed where one or more outfielders fill in holes in the infield instead of playing their traditional position.
Thx, VW

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As long as everyone is in fair territory, excluding the catcher, you are good.

Anytime, I have tried a shift, though, I have gotten burned and looked like I'm stoopid. I think that is why you don't see it more.

Actually, as an infielder myself, I think that an extra player in there is going to be confusing.

What age group are you?

Jun 22, 2008
I have seen it done, but mostly by younger or very inexperienced teams. You come up against a team that has batters that can do more than just slap or bunt and you are going to be in a world of hurt. When you open up the outfield that much, even a little pooch hit over the indfield could easily be a triple.

Jan 15, 2009
We lost a game 1-0 because we failed to do this this weekend. Bottom of the 7th inning two outs runner on third. Played it straight, bloop line drive into right field wins game. Coaches all agreed that next time we're in that situation we pull RF in to a depth where she can make the out at first base on a ball that drops just past the infield. Who cares if it goes over her head, single, double, triple any hit wins the game.

This was pool play and it would have ended in a tie if we could have fielded that last out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood