Extra hitter/runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Played in a game last night where the following happened:

9th batter comes up and gets a hit. They replace her with another player. When I check to see who it was to score it, I noticed that she was coming up to bat as the 3rd batter. I asked to see if they had another runner with the same number. We asked, and they said - no that's the right number. Also the batter she replaced was not a pitcher or catcher. The girl makes it to third but then she comes up in the batting order. They replace her on 3rd with the original batter and the pinch runner comes up to bat?

I was extremely confused at this point. But they said - oh the coach indicated she was EH? Is this an actual rule? We have some slower runners on our team that we'd love to have a faster runner run for. So what's to stop us if that's an actual rule - just put your fastest runner as an EH and you're allowed to just replace whoever you want?

What was weird is she was also the pitcher.

Oct 11, 2018
don't know of any rule set that allows what happened, but you also need to specify the rule set you were using.

If you saw it at the time it happened you should have stopped it then and told coach, that would be an illegal player and if coach puts B3 in as a substitute for B9, B3 will be disqualified for the remainder of the game.

If you only noticed it at time B3 was due up, many things (using USA softball rules):
1. shame on you
2. B3 would remain on base and you skip her in batting order without penalty (Rule 7.2.D.4).
3. B4 is next batter

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
don't know of any rule set that allows what happened, but you also need to specify the rule set you were using.

If you saw it at the time it happened you should have stopped it then and told coach, that would be an illegal player and if coach puts B3 in as a substitute for B9, B3 will be disqualified for the remainder of the game.

If you only noticed it at time B3 was due up, many things (using USA softball rules):
1. shame on you
2. B3 would remain on base and you skip her in batting order without penalty (Rule 7.2.D.4).
3. B4 is next batter
I questioned it as soon as she was put on 1st. And had our coach talk to the ump. And the other coach. They claimed it was due to her being listed as EH in the lineup so it was allowed. Never seen this happen in any tournament we've been in. Where is that ruling from. I'm not sure what rules we were playing under.

Aug 25, 2019
Never, only a pitcher or catcher can be run for, and only a substitute or last completed at bat can run. When an umpire allows this to happen embarrass us all.

Oct 11, 2018
I questioned it as soon as she was put on 1st. And had our coach talk to the ump. And the other coach. They claimed it was due to her being listed as EH in the lineup so it was allowed. Never seen this happen in any tournament we've been in. Where is that ruling from. I'm not sure what rules we were playing under.

You still haven't provided the sanctioning organization or rule set so although we all know what occurred was wrong by any rule set. USA softball does allow an EP (Extra Player) in Slow Pitch and some Fast Pitch Pool Play games. In USA softball when an EP is allowed and used, it is a distinct player and that slot remains in the game for the entire game.
If Suzy Jones is listed as B3, no way does she come in as a runner for B9 and say its allowed as an EH rule.
If Betty Lu is listed as EP in the 4 spot as B4, she is in for the whole game and bats every time the B4 position comes up in the order. (The EP can be listed anywhere in the lineup, doesn't have to be at the end of the lineup.)
I haven't done a game with EP in many many years. The rules also allow the EP to rotate in and out on defense if coach chooses.
But no mater how you use the EP, its a fixed position in the offensive batting order. if you want to change out a player, it needs to follow the regular substitution rules (for offense). If B4 the EP is taken out of the game, you need to put someone else in her spot who has not been in another position in the lineup. If you take B4 out of the game and don't replace her, you will be taking an out every time that position comes up.
These are USA official rules of softball. If you are playing under a different set of rules, they may vary from what i wrote. Also some tournaments or leagues make up rules to get more players into the game. No telling what rules you were playing under, but I'm willing to bet if they allowed B3 to run for B9 and then take her off the bases when B3's spot in the order came up, they got it wrong.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812