Extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Thoughts on Extension? Most agree it’s a byproduct of something else upstream (bat path). Do you teach extension? Or leave it alone since the ball is gone?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Assuming he is referencing extending the arms and bat head to pitcher after contact. Personally define extension as a straight line that goes from eyes to anticipated point of contact, through hands, through bat head.

Anyone have a shot of same hitter hitting something opposite field?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Extension can be a timing adjustment. Extension isn’t hitting hitting through the ball, powering through contact or a force applied late/contact.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
At 2:30 to 4:30 of this video, an interesting analysis of the output from the swing. Recommend Just getting an idea of desired consistency of output and not comparing your instruction to the presenter's.

Have always wondered if I would have ruined Hunter Pence's career because his body couldn't do what was 'normal'.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Extension is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad word in hitting.

It is the very essence of quackery.

The minute you tell a kid to 'extend', this is what they look like... or much worse.

Do not use words that make things worse. Don't be that guy.:}

View attachment 27642

So let me get this straight.. if I tell a kid to extend they are gonna look like HOFer Cal Ripken?

Extension is the wrists throwing the head correct? We don’t want to extend our wrists? Or you just want that to happen later? After the turn to the ball? Help me understand why we don’t want to extend.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
At 2:30 to 4:30 of this video, an interesting analysis of the output from the swing. Recommend Just getting an idea of desired consistency of output and not comparing your instruction to the presenter's.

Have always wondered if I would have ruined Hunter Pence's career because his body couldn't do what was 'normal'.

What’s your analysis from what he says about certain ball flights to certain fields? Maybe I’m missing something? I think it’s a loose canon comment mostly.. imho.

Jun 8, 2016
What’s your analysis from what he says about certain ball flights to certain fields? Maybe I’m missing something? I think it’s a loose canon comment mostly.. imho.
His analysis was to basically ignore presenter's analysis
Recommend Just getting an idea of desired consistency of output and not comparing your instruction to the presenter's.

and just be conscious of ball flight (in the context of the effect of your own instruction) ;)

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
If your student is smoking line drives to the opposite field gap; blasting rockets to the pull gap and lifting moon shots to pull side, have some promotional flyers to pass out to the parents in the stands? ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog