Extension, is this an action or a by-product of a good upstream movement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I did a search here and didnt find any posts. What are your thoughts?

The 'release' is a big part of 'timing' ... and it also is a big part of realizing post-impact 'extension'.

Not only would I not work directly on 'extension', but the type of 'extension' that folks look for is often improper. That is, they look for an 'extension' of the arms directed out towards the outfield .... when what they really should be looking for is 'extension' of the body. Many times I'll have a kid correct their body extension and the result is that the arms will become extended post impact.

So while 'extension' of the arms is not something I would directly work on, 'extension' of the body (which often leads to 'extension' of the arms) is something that I will work on directly.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Joey Myers talks about centripetal and centrifugal forces. One is drawing inward (centripetal) and one is outward/fleeing (centrifugal). The same way a merry-go-round works. The physics should result in extension without trying to hard.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Joey Myers talks about centripetal and centrifugal forces. One is drawing inward (centripetal) and one is outward/fleeing (centrifugal). The same way a merry-go-round works. The physics should result in extension without trying to hard.

I prefer to think in terms of centripetal force and inertial force (inertia).

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Would miggy's change in barrel direction fit the centripetal and centrifugal forces ?

TWLDgGQ.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If I understand it correctly then Yes. Although it is also a change in inertia I believe.
Thanks !! For me it feels like the barrel is fleeing outward as the handle is getting sucked in once the hand pivot is established.. I believe this is what Howe was referring to with his centripetal and centrifugal forces.

Couple more good examples..

ppX39NF.gif

vxBprBm.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Thanks !! For me it feels like the barrel is fleeing outward as the handle is getting sucked in once the hand pivot is established.. I believe this is what Howe was referring to with his centripetal and centrifugal forces.

Yes, I like that analogy, fleeing. I also agree with the hand pivot being established first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802