Extension drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Extension is a result of correct upstream actions (probably not what you want to hear).

A different answer...I have put hitters in the extension position we want to see as a result of a good swing, and then worked backwards in segments. The problem with this approach is that it isn't really teaching the mechanics of a good quality swing, but rather trying to force a good-looking result. The better approach is to identify what is limiting them getting extended. For young hitters, I often see elbows or upper arms getting pinned against the torso early in the swing and not being allowed to work the way they should. There could also be other factors at play.

Feb 13, 2018
Extension is a result of correct upstream actions (probably not what you want to hear).

A different answer...I have put hitters in the extension position we want to see as a result of a good swing, and then worked backwards in segments. The problem with this approach is that it isn't really teaching the mechanics of a good quality swing, but rather trying to force a good-looking result. The better approach is to identify what is limiting them getting extended. For young hitters, I often see elbows or upper arms getting pinned against the torso early in the swing and not being allowed to work the way they should. There could also be other factors at play.

You're right...not exactly what I'm looking for....19 girls, everyone with different problems....not enough time to work individually with each one so kind of trying to work in some drills for them to "feel" certain things in hope's they can apply it and sort of work on each problem with each one. Definitely fighting a never-ending battle.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You're right...not exactly what I'm looking for....19 girls, everyone with different problems....not enough time to work individually with each one so kind of trying to work in some drills for them to "feel" certain things in hope's they can apply it and sort of work on each problem with each one. Definitely fighting a never-ending battle.

Been there...but not with 19! Is this rec ball or travel?

May 12, 2016

Eric gave you some really good advice there especially the following;

"elbows or upper arms getting pinned against the torso early in the swing"

I use to teach my DD how she should extend, that was a mistake. Learning how to tilt and "front shoulder replaces back shoulder"or another way of referring to it is "back shoulder works under the front shoulder" resulted in my DD getting through the ball and extending properly. Basically like Eric said, upstream results in downstream extension

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sounds like you are dealing with a large JV team in which many likely lack a good sense of body awareness. Many are likely unaware of how their torso should work in the swing and have a horizontal mindset. Extension should be a result of good mechanics and body extension ... but with body-unaware players that can be a bit of a challenge.

That said ... get the job done.

Start with a simple sequence drill ... something like the "Step and Hit" drill that is frequently posted here.

From there teach the hip/torso-engine and make it clear to them that life in the box with a horizontal mindset will make life tough for them.

In a large group setting, some will catch on ... many won't. Sadly, you can't save all of them within a shortened HS season ... especially with a large group ... and dealing with individuals with limited body awareness. That doesn't mean you give up. Teach a hitting mentality. Teach them to be predators. Use what they have and add a hitting mentality. Teach them how to time the pitcher and how to time the ball ... and that will go a lot easier if they can get the "Step and Hit" drill happening such that they are in sequence.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018
Sounds like you are dealing with a large JV team in which many likely lack a good sense of body awareness. Many are likely unaware of how their torso should work in the swing and have a horizontal mindset. Extension should be a result of good mechanics and body extension ... but with body-unaware players that can be a bit of a challenge.

That said ... get the job done.

Start with a simple sequence drill ... something like the "Step and Hit" drill that is frequently posted here.

From there teach the hip/torso-engine and make it clear to them that life in the box with a horizontal mindset will make life tough for them.

In a large group setting, some will catch on ... many won't. Sadly, you can't save all of them within a shortened HS season ... especially with a large group ... and dealing with individuals with limited body awareness. That doesn't mean you give up. Teach a hitting mentality. Teach them to be predators. Use what they have and add a hitting mentality. Teach them how to time the pitcher and how to time the ball ... and that will go a lot easier if they can get the "Step and Hit" drill happening such that they are in sequence.

Yes, yes, and yes. We are learning slowly....small steps forward at a time. Bad habits are dying hard....and yes, body awareness is still missing (almost as bad as my 9 year old team!)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, yes, and yes. We are learning slowly....small steps forward at a time. Bad habits are dying hard....and yes, body awareness is still missing (almost as bad as my 9 year old team!)

You may not realize this now, but you are living the dream!

I have been fortunate enough to be called in to give group hitting sessions to JV teams. At first it can be a bit overwhelming for many of them. Many signed up for the experience with the belief that softball was not an athletic activity. They had zero idea that they would need to use their torso in a fairly athletic manner. Many don't get it, and hope that what I instructed was unimportant. Then, after a few games, reality sets in. It is then that they become more receptive .... so, don't be afraid to keep delivering the message of good mechanics. Some even request extra one-on-one time. That is when you get to work with the individual on what they need most. I had two JV players hit with me recently on one-on-ones ... one truly impressed me ... she had a keen sense of coordination ... and with a few more lessons she could become quite productive. The other had a limited sense of body awareness .... and with such a player you have to make a judgement call ... do you persist with proper mechanics ... do you move on to mentality ... do you ping pong back and forth.

Feb 13, 2018
You may not realize this now, but you are living the dream!

I have been fortunate enough to be called in to give group hitting sessions to JV teams. At first it can be a bit overwhelming for many of them. Many signed up for the experience with the belief that softball was not an athletic activity. They had zero idea that they would need to use their torso in a fairly athletic manner. Many don't get it, and hope that what I instructed was unimportant. Then, after a few games, reality sets in. It is then that they become more receptive .... so, don't be afraid to keep delivering the message of good mechanics. Some even request extra one-on-one time. That is when you get to work with the individual on what they need most. I had two JV players hit with me recently on one-on-ones ... one truly impressed me ... she had a keen sense of coordination ... and with a few more lessons she could become quite productive. The other had a limited sense of body awareness .... and with such a player you have to make a judgement call ... do you persist with proper mechanics ... do you move on to mentality ... do you ping pong back and forth.

I am very happy to have this opportunity. And, in a school where we lost all our varsity players to travel ball, I have a lot of respect for the girls who have put themselves out there and I am very proud of them every day. They show up, the work hard, they listen and they do their best! Each game is a struggle, but we always find positives. I squatch any particular mechanics talk during warm up/games....that's when I'm telling them find a way, be aggressive, attack the ball. Practice we try and make baby steps on form. I love the game and each one of them are like my own kids!! Thanks very much for your help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee