Extension Drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I coach high school softball and videotape my hitters regularly. One problem that a few of my girls have is not attaining extension after contact. Upon rotation, they get BOTH of their elbows connected, their "box" collapses, and after contact they really pull the bat in close to their body (like they're yanking the bat backward). I'll add a picture of this for clarification later if I'm not being clear enough.

My question is this: are there any drills that any of you have found successful in breaking girls of this habit? What extension drills do you use? I've tried Candrea's three tees in a row, and that helps a little, but I'm looking for something else. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Mike

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Connection and the "box"

1. Front and back elbow connect to the torso (arms clamp down so there is no separation between their upper arms and the sides of their body).

2. The "box" is the area that is maintained between the elbows and the body when rotating the upper body and bringing the bat into the hitting zone. Picture a hitter after the back elbow separates at toe touch starting to attack. As the back elbow begins to connect to the body (back elbow decreases the space between it and the body) and the hands begin to enter the hitting zone, the front elbow should achieve separation (increase the distance between the body and itself) as the bat head approaches the ball.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Mountie

This is pretty common among hitters who are learning connection and maintaining the box. There are a couple of things you can do here. If you have a small weighted bat. (Mine is lead filled) have the hitter grasp it in the bottom hand.

Then take the top hand and place it on the wrist of the bottom hand palm up. Tell your hitter to maintain the box until contact with this configuration. Use the top hand as a brace for the lead arm to maintain the box. (Remember we are talking short WEIGHTED bat with this drill) AFTER contact then release the wrist and allow the lead arm to extend out.

You want extension after contact into the power V position as soon as you can but not with the shoulder flying out. This drill will help the hitter get the lead arm to that position. Then give them the bat and see if they can get there with both hands.

What your seeing is what some refer to as the merry go round. This drill will help you eliminate some of what your seeing with your hitters. Watch out for the lead shoulder flying out and pulling off the ball if they are in the position your talking about.

Elliott.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Ifubuildit, that's great!

Ifubuildit - thank you! That seems simple enough, and I have the right bat for this drill. The "merry-go-round" is very common for our girls who don't seem to be naturally good hitters. As a high school coach, these girls are my biggest concern. We're only as good as the girls who need the most work.

Thanks again!

Mike

May 7, 2008
DFW
Magic,

What your suggesting is top hand torque with a back arm push. All of which lead to premature rolling of the wrist and premature extension to the ball. Resulting in lots of ground balls to the 6 and 4 hole. Inconsisntent swing plane and a batting average just a bit north of the Mendoza line.

Note:
Minnie Mendoza was a career minor leaguer who finally made it with the Minnesota Twins in 1970 at age 36. Mendoza hit .188 in sixteen games with the Twins that year.

Elliott.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
I would not describe the physics as koolaid.

this is a fun demo to play around with.

See how hinge angle and acceleration are affected by varying degrees of running start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28