Extension Drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
And it only took him 2 years to get on Board (no pun intended):

Remember the "Fulcrum Push" from Eteamz? Well guess what:

TheMagicMove said:
The resistance makes sure the top hand and barrel don't push forward.

6311s9g.gif

Remember the "Fulcrum Set" from Eteamz? Well guess what:

TheMagicMove said:
They push, actually throw, against/around the lead hand pivot point....which is stationery relatively speaking.

45420pt.gif

Real original stuff you wrote there Rich........

Remember........Tell em where you got it..........:D

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Board member -

i think the "resistance" feel is typical of the 2 plane type swings so that the upper body working in a more downward plane resists turning with the body/level hip turn so that the torso coils between the upper and lower body.

The throwing around the bottom hand is double pendulum type action where the top hand throw first adds to upper body resistance and control of coil as the bat turns between the hands, then triggers segmental momentum to result in turning the bathead rather than dragging it which in turn is related to deceleration of the first pendulum (lead arm attached to torso/bypassing shoulders. shoulders tilt and connect then passively rotated by torso unloading, shoulders not actively rotating).

so "resistance" and lead arm/bottom hand deceleration/preventing fulcrum push are somewhat different things.

Cordially yours.....

Jul 14, 2008
Ho Hum Tom.......

It's in the quotes above.........

Revisionism.......Pure and Simple.......

Rich has finally seen the light I turned on for him way back when........

Fulcrum Push is Bad.
Lead Hand IS the pivot point......NOT between the hands.
Lead Hand Must be setup to an almost stationary position PRIOR TO CONTACT for the top hand to do it's job, otherwise it's a push.

Richard finally figured it out.......Good for him, but he waisted nearly 2 years, of his kids life trying to get him OFF the bench.......

No one can be blamed for that but him........

It was there, for him to get, but he wanted to go THE LONG WAY AROUND. That's ok. Sometimes that's the best way to the park..........

I'm not interested in rehashing that old stuff. I could post the links to those old threads. You know the one's I'm talking about about the fulcrum push etc.

Or how about the thread where tell him how the top hand kicks into contact HALF WAY through the swing. Yep, I have those actual exchanges saved where he continually says "you mean push it right?". And I continually retort, NO I didn't say push, you did.

I could head back over there and expose him ALL OVER AGAIN.

What good would that do? Nothing....

I offered to help him get the big boy off his backside back then as well. He didn't want to hear it, and even decided squaring the hips was a useless endevour just to cover up the flaw........The answer is there for him know.......He can take it or leave it........

You see, I just don't care that much anymore.......

Besides, he's got enough on his plate preparing his defense team......And I'm busy playing golf!

See ya round the links!.........

P.S. I changed my mind.......

Board member -

i think the "resistance" feel is typical of the 2 plane type swings so that the upper body working in a more downward plane resists turning with the body/level hip turn so that the torso coils between the upper and lower body.

The throwing around the bottom hand is double pendulum type action where the top hand throw first adds to upper body resistance and control of coil as the bat turns between the hands, then triggers segmental momentum to result in turning the bathead rather than dragging it which in turn is related to deceleration of the first pendulum (lead arm attached to torso/bypassing shoulders. shoulders tilt and connect then passively rotated by torso unloading, shoulders not actively rotating).

so "resistance" and lead arm/bottom hand deceleration/preventing fulcrum push are somewhat different things.

Cordially yours.....

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Johm, I was sincere in what I said. Doesn't mean we are in lock step on every aspect of the swing, but it does mean we should be able to discuss, agree, and disagree without the baggage.

Mike

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
board -

you asked on bbf about the meaning of top hand synch/etc.

this is a crucial part of the 2 plane patterns moreso in hitting, but also felt in golf once you tune in to it.

these motions involve somewhat separate upper and lower body preparatory motions that work in different planes then merge for adjusted stretch and fire.

2 plane golf is more arms and hips whereas hitting (mlb pattern) is hands and hips with need to shorten quicken swing by more focus on forearm actions and shortening of arms as lever.

in 2 plane golf, you need to avoid active shoulder tilt. in mLB you need active shoulder tilt at "GO" slaved to arms/forearms/hands to create the rearward blur of early batspeed where the hands stay back and the shoulders stay closed longer prior to quicker/better matched acceleration of bathead.

if you start playing around with this, you can see how your upper limbs force the lower limbs to synch.

the upper limbs are in control/arm action is king in these 2 plane actions.

as far as baseball is concerned, the preparatory arm action sequence is the same for overhand throw and hitting which is why the traditional advice includes the 'if you can throw you can hit' advice.

learning to synch the upper and lower body right is best/easiest/earliest learned in a good overhand throw. this is why i recommend you learn to throw, then carry this over to hitting.

when you learn the mlb swing pattern, you just need to get the lower body close, then the upper body will optimize the overall pattern such that 'active hands' eliminate "drag". the active hands enhance body coil and acceleration as well as optimizing plane match by controlling the resistance of the upper body swinging down to turning with the lower body/level hips.

the best reference for the arm action sequence that is king in throwing is the hodge tape BIOMECHANICBASEBALL. Look for that one.

in throwing. the early motions are symmetric, in hitting they are more alternating, but you should be able to feel the sequence and synch that follows in the lower body, and it will help tech girls to throw overhand well which is still unusual.

the synch is primarily upper lmb triggering the opposite (contralateral) lower limb to move the same way at the kinesiological, not necessarily individual muscular level.

some high lights in throwing:

synched internal rotation of arm/humerus and leg femur supports hip cock,

synched arm and leg abduction is primary actor in stride/"back leg push'

synched external rotation of back arm and front leg time body coil well while at the same time from/glve arm and back leg remain internally rotated, stabilized by synched front wrist and back foot eversion which gives final 'push'.

very similar in hitting where for example the internal rotation is what prevents excessive counterotation when you load.

the foregoing describes the synch for preparation. the actual "throw" is then different for the back hand dominant throw vs the 2 hand torquing of hitting.

that is another subject.

learn to throw, then you are ready to hit.

I noticed an interesting quote on bbf today, attributed to hiddengem...

"Went up to Covington and spent a few hours with Yeager. Good stuff. He did a nice comparison with me and Griffey, said I have the "magic move" with my lower half that is tough to teach."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee