Exposure in upstate NY

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2009
I have a girl who has contacted two DIII coaches in upstate NY. She is a 2011 living in the south and as such, doesn't play in showcases that attract these coaches.

My team is willing to host an "exchange." Our girl would practice with the team for a week and then play in a showcase that these two coaches attend. Our team would do the same for a northern girl looking at NC/SC schools.

I'm at a bit of loss in how to set this up, guage interest, etc...

Any ideas?

Oct 18, 2009
I really have no experience doing this at all, but I would probably start by looking up organizations in the area/ or teams that may be going to the showcase she may want to go to and contact the coaches to see if they or any of their girls would be interested in helping sponsor/ exchange for something like this.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
2010 Summer NFCA Endorsed Camps
Fri, June 11, 2010 NFCA/Las Vegas Recruiting Camp
Las Vegas, NV
Fri, June 18, 2010 NFCA/Valley Invitational Recruiting Camp
Hillsboro, OR
Thur, June 24, 2010 NFCA/New England Recruiting Camp
Devens, MA
]Thur, July 8, 2010 NFCA/Stop DWI Tourney of Champions Recruiting Camp;
Binghamton, NY

Feb 6, 2009
I have a girl who has contacted two DIII coaches in upstate NY. She is a 2011 living in the south and as such, doesn't play in showcases that attract these coaches.

My team is willing to host an "exchange." Our girl would practice with the team for a week and then play in a showcase that these two coaches attend. Our team would do the same for a northern girl looking at NC/SC schools.

Any ideas?

You say she's contacted them? Does she have a recruiting video? If she's serious about this, I would get a video done as early as possible and send it to the coaches. I would also offer up that if the schoool has any clinics, she might want to attend. At the DIII level it's possible to get an offer with a good video and time on the campus.

Jan 13, 2009
I appreciate the list Coach JV. Neither school hosts their own camp, but they do attend one of the clinics you listed.

Yes, mrslug01, she is creating video. She has had one unofficial visit to one school and is planning a second trip up north to get additional visits. I was asking about game time in front of the coaches. It is sometimes difficult to display aggressiveness in a skills video when a coach could watch live on-field attitude.

I asked about the exchange because I was concerned an entire team would not want to travel this far for the benefit of one player. An exchange makes sense in this case.

Still, how does one overcome geographic differences. Do you pick that one national tournament (Rising Stars in Fl) and go, or do you target your schedule based on player interest.

Feb 6, 2009
I appreciate the list Coach JV. Neither school hosts their own camp, but they do attend one of the clinics you listed.

Yes, mrslug01, she is creating video. She has had one unofficial visit to one school and is planning a second trip up north to get additional visits. I was asking about game time in front of the coaches. It is sometimes difficult to display aggressiveness in a skills video when a coach could watch live on-field attitude.

I asked about the exchange because I was concerned an entire team would not want to travel this far for the benefit of one player. An exchange makes sense in this case.

Still, how does one overcome geographic differences. Do you pick that one national tournament (Rising Stars in Fl) and go, or do you target your schedule based on player interest.

We're from upstate NY. My DD's team travels mostly in the Northeast and most of our girls will play northeast. We had one girl who wanted to go to school in NC or SC and we didn't travel further south than NJ or PA. One coach came and saw her in PA. But she had a few offers by continuing to talk to the coaches down there, expressing interest, and visiting in person. I don't personally fel it's necessary to play live games in front of a DII coach to get offers. In many cases DIII coaches take more players than they will have anyway and hold tryouts.

As far as the video goes, my DD gto two DII offers from her skills video alone.

Good luck

Feb 21, 2010

Any ideas?
It is a D3 school. Contact the coach and ask for a walk on try out. They aren't allowed to give you money anyway so if your 2 players are interested, look into the schools, get all the info you can. Contyact the coach and let them know your daughter or whoever is attending their college or University and they will be coming out for the softball team. If they are strong enough to make the team, the coach will keep them on the roster.

Apr 11, 2009
I am a coach for a 18u showcase team in NY we will be going to three of the best showcases in the North east. I tjink this is a great idea ,we all know about some players wanting to go to the west coast or florida to get more exposure. I do know that you can go to a showcase as a guest player as well so you may want to try going that route.Let me know your thoughts

Jan 13, 2009
Update

I wanted to thank all of you for the suggestions. The NFCA camp turned out to be a great success for my daughter and she got the attention from the schools in which she was interested.

We were able to contact a local travel ball coach and agreed to the idea of a swap, but were never able to pull it off.

The upstate school is her number one choice and the coach has offered her a spot on the team, but now the wait until she is accepted (the downside to DIII).

Just wanted to let you know that your advice paid off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee