Example of 12U coach pitch calling--please, don't be this guy.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
. At 12U most pitchers have a fast ball and a change and maybe one other pitch they are working on. They need experience working on hitting spots and varying speeds and being a pitcher and not just a thrower. We usually call pitches so the pitcher can focus on just throwing the pitch and not what pitch to throw.

You guys make it seem like pitching is brain surgery.

Here is a strategy that works 99% of the time in 18U, 95% of the time in college and 90% of the time in the MLB: Keep the ball down and over the river.

They are also leaning some strategy on when to throw different pitches.
The coach is teaching the kids to do what they are told. They are not being taught to think.

Oct 4, 2018
It’s not really an all or nothing proposition.

What I’m saying is when the count is 0-2, do we really need to throw three “waste pitches” fourteen inches off the plate that no one will swing at?

Also, part of learning and developing as a pitcher is to recognize when they can't hit one of your pitches and then exploit it.

Plenty of time to work on the change-up on the next batter (who can time your fastball).

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Just about every tournament for us is a one hour drive. We spend about 20 minutes of that discussing strategy. The way home is fun because we can discuss specific plays and scenarios we had that day.

I was telling my DD on the way to the tourney this past Saturday about how we'll try to pitch bunters high and slappers inside. Asked her why, let her think on it, then gave her my answer.

And in the game, we had a girl we were pretty sure would bunt, so we pitched up in the zone to her and got a bunt pop-up to the catcher. Worked just like we discussed. It was great reinforcement of what we discussed and hammered home why we did it.

Same with a slapper. Jammed her and got an easy out.

I love pitch calling, and love when it all comes together and my DD and I can discuss it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802