Everyone Swings a 34"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
Saw somewhere that at one time Candrea only had 33in bats on his team. Didn't some guy named Rose choke up on the bat and a wanna be named Bonds also.

May 29, 2019
Thanks for all the replies. Certainly some interesting thoughts on this subject. Like I told her, "Go into it with an open mind, and just maybe this will be that one last little piece that takes you to the next level at the plate." I sure hope so.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thanks for all the replies. Certainly some interesting thoughts on this subject. Like I told her, "Go into it with an open mind, and just maybe this will be that one last little piece that takes you to the next level at the plate." I sure hope so.
Good advice open minded approach!
An update in a few months would be nice 👍

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I've said it here previously, the single best thing for DD was moving up from 33-10 to 34-10. I also experimented with 33-9. DD changed in Dec of her freshman HS year. Something just clicked for her. Liked the 34 way better than the 1oz heavier 33. YMMV

Mar 10, 2020
I've said it here previously, the single best thing for DD was moving up from 33-10 to 34-10. I also experimented with 33-9. DD changed in Dec of her freshman HS year. Something just clicked for her. Liked the 34 way better than the 1oz heavier 33. YMMV
Eldest dd started swinging a 34 jr. year summer.
Mid dd is 15 swings one now. Same weight.

Jun 23, 2021
Our kids must go to the same college because my daughter’s coach told her the exact same stupid nonsense when he was about to sign a bat endorsement deal with Easton and said he’d be buying all 34” bats. My daughter swings a drop -11 33” Ghost. She led her D-2 regional qualifying team in batting average, RBI, runs, extra base hits, slugging percentage, stolen bases, as well era, h/9, bb/9, wins and K’s as a SS and #3 pitcher. I told her to inform her coach that if he was going to make her swing a weight because that’s what he was comfortable with, she would enter the transfer portal and probably have a new school within the week. He later decided to let the swing whatever weight they chose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 12, 2016
Back around 2004 or 2005 I watched a JV team from a perennial powerhouse HS compete in a varsity tournament. The varsity team was too good for this tournament but it was about right for the JV team.

Every JV batter walked up to the plate with a black 34 inch bat. Even the tiny slappers. Everyone in the stands, including me, was asking "what's the deal with this?" After some asking around we all learned the big bat they were using was a Miken slow pitch model (it was banned the following year).

About half the team choked up 2-3 inches and the slappers were choked up almost to the taper where the grip ended. It was one of the strangest things I've seen on a diamond.

Several of us in the stands assumed the JV batters would be handicapped by having to swing a stick that was obviously oversize for most of them but they were talented enough to use it to their advantage. Almost all hit balls ended up in the outfield, even the ones put into play with weaker swings.

At first we spectators had plenty of criticism for the coach who was handicapping the players. But, by the end of the tournament when the results became undeniable, some of the spectators (not me!) were criticizing the coach for cheating. I think there's a lesson or two in here somewhere.
The lesson here is they were using an illegal hot slo pitch bat... there's a reason it was banned the following year. Wonder what the result would be if that illegal hot bat was the appropriate size for the girls? :unsure:

Apr 22, 2015
When Florida won their back to back National Championships in 2014-15..95% of their Easton Stealths were 33/23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802