Even the losers are happy in college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2019
My $.02, it's for recruiting. These girls are making their college choices based on several factors. First being competitiveness for many of them, most want to play what they feel is the highest level they can reach, makes sense. Next for many, comes atmosphere, if the coaches/players can market an atmosphere of fun, it's something the girls will gravitate towards. Most high level girls will have played for hard nosed coaches if they're at the highest levels, and not all want to continue to, so marketing the college softball experience as a fun AND a competitive environment doubles the appeal. Obviously there are many that heavily weigh the academic merits of a particular school, or location, or whether or not they actually get an offer from said #1 choice school, but the first two aspects weigh very heavily

Jun 11, 2013
Seems like college softball is the only sport where the losing team is smiling, dancing around the dugout and acting silly even when down 10-0. I don’t understand the lack of seriousness and the desire to win at that level. I see girls making throwing errors, striking out and in the dugout they’re all smiles and singing songs. So bizarre!
I've never been a huge fan of all the cheering but in the end it's just a game. These kids spend hundreds of hours practicing and traveling to play the games and they sometimes lose. It's not the end of the world to lose a softball game.

May 27, 2022
I get what you are saying. Seems like they don't care, BUT in another vein of thinking, they are still competing and even though they might be outmatched, they haven't given up. Geno Auriemma had a take on this...

Aug 15, 2021
The cheering has been engrained in softball culture. My DD is a fairly quiet person, but stays active in watching the game. However she is constantly being reminded by her coach to keep cheering for the pitcher when she is not on the field. She said it is exhausting for her to keep that up, but feels like if she doesn't she could lose playing time. I have heard a number of times at tournaments in post game speeches coacher saying we lost today because we weren't loud enough or something like that.

May 20, 2015
based on my observations, it just might be possible that the girls actually enjoy being there, enjoy competing with their teammates, enjoy playing a game that they love.......and now that the end of their playing career is in sight, just might have gained a perspective that many of us lack?

your mileage may vary.....

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Not a rah rah person. However, and perhaps a different take, I do want my defense talking. IMO it is a way for them to be engaged and into the game instead of losing focus. That doesn't mean that they are saying meaningless stuff. Instead, reminding other about the number of outs, potential bunt situations., and whether they are making defensive adjustments, ... I think are all ways for a team to be vocal and it is beneficial. My dd didn't play for any rah-rah coaches in her career including college. They did create certain chants but they were not close to being obnoxious and or ongoing the entire game.

Feb 7, 2014
And the b.s. that these coaches put their players through is part of what is wrong with college softball.
Yup.

based on my observations, it just might be possible that the girls actually enjoy being there, enjoy competing with their teammates, enjoy playing a game that they love.......and now that the end of their playing career is in sight, just might have gained a perspective that many of us lack?
It is interesting to see what adversity players have had getting to the college 'field.' The ones that have already had to handle difficult situations come prepared with a different mindset than those that are experiencing it for the first time.

Apr 1, 2017
The cheering has been engrained in softball culture. My DD is a fairly quiet person, but stays active in watching the game. However she is constantly being reminded by her coach to keep cheering for the pitcher when she is not on the field. She said it is exhausting for her to keep that up, but feels like if she doesn't she could lose playing time. I have heard a number of times at tournaments in post game speeches coacher saying we lost today because we weren't loud enough or something like that.
My daughter is going through similar situation. I know she follows the game when on the bench. In fact, my guess is she has a better idea of what is actually going on (defensive alignment/pitch calling/etc.), than the girls trying to out-scream each other...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812