ESPN Hires Jessica Mendoza for SNB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Cool, good for her.

As a side note, last month we were eating at a local sushi restaurant and Jessica and Ramona Shelburne (ESPN/Stanford softball grad) were there. I tried to get my DD to get a picture with them but as a typical teenager, she wouldn't do it. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Cool, good for her.

As a side note, last month we were eating at a local sushi restaurant and Jessica and Ramona Shelburne (ESPN/Stanford softball grad) were there. I tried to get my DD to get a picture with them but as a typical teenager, she wouldn't do it. :)

I understand your DD's reluctance, but that doesn't explain why you haven't posted your own selfie with them :cool:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Or, celebrities really don't mind you crowding in behind them (while they are eating). Then, have your wife take about 5 shots. Hold up a glass of beer, if you have one.

Feb 12, 2014
I think it's great for Jessica, but I have a twinge of disappointment that she probably won't be calling many softball games now. I really enjoyed listening to her call a game.

Furthermore, I have this nagging feeling that I don't like the fact that baseball is considered a better job than softball. Obviously, it is. That is just reality, especially the national broadcast on Sunday night. But, as the father of a daughter, I'd love to see the day when calling a women's softball game is as good a gig as calling a men's baseball game. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll make it to that day.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't like the fact that baseball is considered a better job than softball.

Although it's not strictly baseball vs. softball, or male vs. female.

There are examples of softball jobs being better than baseball jobs (WCWS is on TV, minor league baseball is not). There are examples of female sports being better than male sports (think Serena Williams or Ronda Rousey).

But non-revenue college sports are never bigger than major professional sports. That's also the jump that Mendoza is making.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
It's funny, in some sports the women's job is better than the men's job. I was reading an article over the weekend that the Loyola (Chicago) men's volleyball coach, who has won a couple of national titles, is leaving to become the women's coach at Northwestern. The move is considered a step up because the women's collegiate volleyball game is considered higher level and more important than the men's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802